IW STi Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a set of winter tires for my stock BBS wheels. I'll be purchasing them from tirerack.com, but they have so many damn options!

Here in VT we get an assload of snow, so i'm looking for some good traction without breaking the bank. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Blizzaks, Dunlaps

Check Your Local Subaru Dealer, Sometimes They Are Cheaper Then Tirerack

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have Blizzak LM22s. They come in a size that is a perfect replacement for the OEM tire size ( I think its 225 / 45 17 ). I had them for my S4 and when I sold the S4 I kept them ( why I don't know ). I was amazed when I got the STi and it had the EXACT same wheel size as the S4. IMO these tires make the STi great in the snow :tup: . Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
for winter Blizzak FTW

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
It all depends on your weather/road conditions.

Do you get a ton of snow? Do your roads get plowed right away? Do the roads dry out quickly?

The Blizzak LM series (22, 25) are high performance snow tires, designed to comprimise snow traction for good dry performance. I had LM22's on my s2000. Don't get me wrong, they are amazing in the snow, but other tires like the Blizzak WS50 is better. But the LM tire was great on dry/ plowed roads. They lasted me 5 seasons, they don't feel spongy, and I could even push the car a little. They are the best tire in snow, but they definately got me home safe during a few Ontario, Canada snow storms.

This year, I'm considering the Hanook Ice Bear. The reviews I've read say they are amazing tires, at HALF THE PRICE of Blizzaks.

·
OT stealth mod
4,261 Posts
wintersport M3

I couldn't believe how well they did on dry pavement, and they did awesome on snow/ice too. Never had a problem with them in the snow, i will probably buy a new set this winter (had about 15k miles on them).

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Have had 0 Issues with the Blizzak LM-22's last winter... always pushed through the snow, even unplowed. Looking forward to their use again this winter.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I ran the Hankooks and thery were pretty damn amazing. Can't compare them to the Blizzaks, but I was DEFINATLY impressed. I'm actually still debating which set to get.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
LRM, just realized your up in VT.... I recommend the LM-22's as performance winter... but if you really get stuck up there I've heard good reviews on the WS-50's model for deep snow traction.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I guess i'm leaning toward the LM-22's. although we do get a lot of deep snow, the road crews are pretty good about cleaning it up in a hurry.

·
A.X.D.
5,115 Posts
LM-22's are amazing tires... if you want the best traction in snow and ice, low noise (since the tire compound is soft), and like making SUVs and 4x4s look bad in the snow, this is your tire. :D

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Majin said:
LM-22's are amazing tires... if you want the best traction in snow and ice, low noise (since the tire compound is soft), and like making SUVs and 4x4s look bad in the snow, this is your tire. :D
Definitely a +1... as if I've said before, you cannot go wrong :)

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
i was going to get the m3's but they were out of stock.. so instead i got the pirelli winter carving. i've used them for 2 seasons and I have to admit, they are awesome!!!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Blizzaks.

LM-22 or LM-25 for not-so-deep snow.

WS-50 for deeper snow.

There is nothing better than the WS-50 for deep snow. I've been using them for 5 years now (first on my WRX, now on my STi).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Toyo microbits that have the crushed up walnuts in them for improved breaking on slippery surfaces I find is the best . Personally I run Mastercraft Glacier Grips cus I work for New Englands biggest tire dealer and I got them for a steal of adeal and they are absolutely amazing, and those are kinda cheap!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.