IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've faxed in my SCCA membership application, and am looking forward to getting some experience in autocross. In preparation for my first event, I've started looking at helmets. I've narrowed the choices down to these 3 (my criteria are: cheap, SA2000 certified)

* Bell Mag 4
* G Force Pro Force Hybrid
* Pyrotect open-face

Anyone have any opinions on these? I'm thinking an open-face design is probably going to be best for visibility reasons, which may rule out the G Force hybrid. And where do you go to buy one of these? I definitely want to try them all on before purchasing. A motorcycle shop?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Careful on the open Face! Remember what happened to Dale Earnhardt!

I personally have always had a full face, and prefer Shoei. They have always been very comfortable, and protected the noggin on many a Desert race fall.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops! I never even noticed the Weekend Warriors section! Thanks for moving this over, moderator. Time to read some old posts - I'm sure this has been covered many times :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Personally I use a full face Simpson with a tinted visor. If it's not too bright I run visor up. If the sun is a problem I run visor down. You don't have to worry about trying to cram on a pair of sunglasses at the last minute on the line. Mine is MA rated. The SCCA Solo II board doesn't care in my region, but in 2005 I will replace it with an SA rated Voyager. I feel that the foam will be too old after that. Back in the '70's Bell ran an ad: "If you have a $10 doller head, run a $10 helmet."

·
Registered
347 Posts
don't bother looking in a motorcycle shop unless you want a moto helmet. they don't normally carry the car stuff, and they are rated differently. an open face is great for autocross. unless you run WAY off course, the dale earnhardt warning is overkill. also, he needed something like a HANS device, not a full face helmet. the open face option allows you to communicate better, isn't as hot, and is a little lighter. be sure to try them on for a least a few minutes. traditionally, shoei will bump some folks in the middle of the forehead, right around the hairline(if you're not receding...) and bell sometimes is a bit tight around some peoples cheeks, but most manufacturers use more than one mold for their helmets, so not all models fit the same. i also always use a coolmax balaclava under my helmet so it doesn't get all sweaty and nasty. much easier to wash that than the inside of the helmet. hope this helps...

·
Registered
347 Posts
oh yeah, try wine country motorsports at sears point. they have bell, arai,bieffe, and some simpson, i think. they also have a website.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info! I'll check out wine country motorsports this weekend. I have a somewhat large head (7 1/2 baseball caps are tight on me depending on how much hair I have) so it's good to have a physical shop when I try things on. I see this translates to L or maybe an XL. Balaclava sounds like a good plan, too.

Can't wait to track the STi! Driving it on city streets is too much of a tease...

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
mods

i prefer full faced as well.

DEFINETELY try them on before buying a size. fit is very important to safety. you want it to be snug, but not uncomfortable.

mine:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
APS 370 Horespower Super Sprint High Output System 4 the STI

Thanks, chrisw. Fremont is a little closer to where I live. I'll have to check them out this week.

And I fully expect to get spanked by everyone and their grandma at my first autoX! I'm just excited to meet some other enthusiasts and hopefully some other STi drivers who can give me some tips. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
look me up, and I will gladly offer some pointers on driving your STI like you stole it :D

Are you going to show up to the event this weekend ? (last one of the year! )

·
Registered
347 Posts
chrisw, where is it? pleasanton? give me some info. i gotta work saturday, but could always miss a bike race sunday to autox! let me know...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to go this Sunday, but my SCCA membership hasn't arrived yet!!! (I faxed it in to the SCCA HQ on Nov 24th). Will they let me compete without it? I haven't contacted the event organizer or anything, either. I just assumed I would need my membership prior to the meet.

Should I call SCCA and have them fax me something? Not sure how by-the-book these things are run...

And chrisw: I will be taking you up on your offer if I can get in on Sunday - pointers needed!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, my SCCA card was in my mailbox when I came home. It looks like I'll be out there on Sunday!

·
Registered
422 Posts
You probably would have been fine. I mailed in my card and it hadn't arrived before my first 2 day auto x. I took the top half of the card in as my recipe. The registrars were caught off guard at the program, but let me enter at the cheaper member rate and put down "On file".

Depending on your region you may still have to buy a 2003 rule book.

The reason I didn't have my card was that race weekend was one week after I picked up my car. I needed the seat time...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts