IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I want a boost gauge. Assuming I get a 3-gauge pod, what should the other two be? EGT? Oil pressure? Oil temperature? Fuel pressure? Water temperature? I'd think intake air temperature (post I/C) would be handy, e.g., for knowing when to hit the sprayer & how many times, but I've never seen one.

I don't plan to make major mods any time soon, but I won't rule it out. Obviously, some of these won't be too useful without mods. E.g., monitoring EGT is critical with exhaust and boost controller, but pretty boring on a stock engine.

I want the boost gauge now so I can monitor the effectiveness of left-foot braking for autocrossing.[/b]

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you explain how fuel pressure and oil pressure gauges are used? What are you looking for?

·
Registered
382 Posts
You watch for a drop in fuel/oil pressure. If your oil pressure drops, it means oil is not circulating in your engine, which is not good(especially under racing conditions). If fuel pressure drops it means fuel is not getting to your engine, which can cause a lean running condition, detonation, or all sorts of bad stuff. Its good if you can get gauges with a warning light so you don't need to monitor the needles as much. If you are not going to race hard on a track that much, these are rather small concerns, but if one of these pressures drop while racing, you can easily break someting.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm going w/ boost, egt and oil pressure. I chose oil pressure because I've read of several ppl finding out they were significantly low on oil btw oil changes. I'd like to be able to monitor this situation more closely.
Scott
'04 STi
JBP/Gold

·
Registered
41 Posts
gauges gauges gauges.......does anyone "really" have time to watch them during competition? I have a 10 sec 130mph (1.24 60 ft.) turbo VW Beetle that i use for drag racing. I have a large red Auto-Meter light connected to my oil pressure sender, a manual sweep liguid filled boost gauge (used for maximum boost reading "after" a pass) and a large faced Auto-Meter tach w/shift light. I don't have time to "look" at gauges during a pass. Just "my experience" in "my application." Gauges do look good...at the burger stand.

·
Registered
282 Posts
java-sti said:
1.24 60 ft.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Guess that motor in the back helps on those 60 footers.

Java is right, you're not gonna drive around staring at your gauges, but if you've got a set with a warning light, they can be pretty useful. Also, if they've got a playback feature you could see how your car is doing at a certain interval (say, a lap at the track or a run down the dragstrip).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts