IW STi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another leak somewhere in the manifold/up-pipe area (I haven't had a chance to really get under there and pin point it) and last time I replaced the gaskets with OEM ones, but my aftermarket up-pipe doesn't quite meet as flush as the stock one did with the manifold so I don't think it's sealing 100% like it should.
This time I want to use something thicker so I don't keep having this problem.
Do you guys know where I can get some very good thick gaskets?

·
Registered
181 Posts
i have been having the sameee problem for like, 2 months now. such a PITA!
so put to OEM gaskets on there and it should work??

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the first leaks were all over the place... my up-pipe, manifold, and EWG all had leaks at the same time.
Unfortunately I used this stuff called "the right stuff" by Permatex between all the gaskets thinking it would provide a better seal and what happened is the stuff turned to dust basically and everywhere I put it ended up with a big leak.
My car sounded like complete crap... it was like a horrible sounding exhaust leak, but coming from under the engine bay. It was very obvious and driveability was horrible.
This recent leak I have first reared its ugly head as a wierd type of whistling noise. It actually seems the loudest when the car is first started up.
I haven't gotten under there and pulled off the heat shield and everything just yet, so I haven't pin-pointed where exactly the leak is, but it's more than likely in the usual manifold to up-pipe spot.
I'm going to try to get 2 gaskets tomorrow for it and hopefully that'll do the trick. I'm tired of these problems, I just want to drive it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you tried using the copper gasket sealant from permatex. I have had great success using those, especially in my old 'track car' with its heat warped aftermarket header flange. This stuff provides a good seal between the flanges and gasket. The secret of my technique is after liberal application, let it sit for a bit till its tacky (30min..) not so dry though. And then put it on. And torque it down appropriately, so there is uniformity. (also key!)

In my experience, I've tried doubling up two copper gaskets, earl's aluminum with graphite along with Mr. Gasket's own version of it, regular soft aluminum and oem gaskets. (Summit racing knows me by heart now..) None was able to help with what issue I had. The copper goo is good. I actually still have all the used gaskets lying my in garage somewhere...
Jxn

pt518sti said:
I have another leak somewhere in the manifold/up-pipe area (I haven't had a chance to really get under there and pin point it) and last time I replaced the gaskets with OEM ones, but my aftermarket up-pipe doesn't quite meet as flush as the stock one did with the manifold so I don't think it's sealing 100% like it should.
This time I want to use something thicker so I don't keep having this problem.
Do you guys know where I can get some very good thick gaskets?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jxn said:
Have you tried using the copper gasket sealant from permatex. I have had great success using those, especially in my old 'track car' with its heat warped aftermarket header flange. This stuff provides a good seal between the flanges and gasket. The secret of my technique is after liberal application, let it sit for a bit till its tacky (30min..) not so dry though. And then put it on. And torque it down appropriately, so there is uniformity. (also key!)

In my experience, I've tried doubling up two copper gaskets, earl's aluminum with graphite along with Mr. Gasket's own version of it, regular soft aluminum and oem gaskets. (Summit racing knows me by heart now..) None was able to help with what issue I had. The copper goo is good. I actually still have all the used gaskets lying my in garage somewhere...
Jxn
I didn't think anything would be rated high enough to handle that kind of heat :confused:
This sounds like a good idea, but what is the exact product?
Also, did you apply it alone or with a oem gasket in there too?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jason bouchard said:
so how did you know it was leakign , do you have an exhuast ? mine is soo loud i cant hear anythign else, i can hear a turbo spool but i have EWG so idk if its that or what
It's very easy to hear on mine.
As soon as you give a reasonable ammount of gas you can hear it, but at idle it's hard to notice.
When I'm under there while it's being revved up a little I can hear it popping and stuff around the manifold/up-pipe area.
You know when you have a catless exhaust how you can rev it up and get those little popping noises sometimes? Well picture that except you can hear it from under the car :lol:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
VSGTS14 said:
your car will run rich for one thing, if you notice a little more popping then something can be up.
I definitly feel like the car is a little low on power and it's pretty jerky.

·
Registered
16 Posts
pt518sti said:
I didn't think anything would be rated high enough to handle that kind of heat :confused:
This sounds like a good idea, but what is the exact product?
Also, did you apply it alone or with a oem gasket in there too?
Thanks
Here's a pictoral from a website after googling:
http://www.caswellplating.com/permatex/permgasketmakers.html

The second item from top is what I use, the copper gasket sealant. I got mine at my local autopart store (ie, PepBoys). I always use a gasket in conjunction with the sealant. I really don't think the sealant by itself will suffice due to the actual physical space the gasket occupies.
The sealant is meant to occupy the minute variations of the flange/gasket/flange. It's not a replacement of gasket. (Albeit, the manufacturer states otherwise.)
HTH,
Jxn

·
Registered
181 Posts
mine sounds like a ticking sound. its soo anoyying. in the morning when i start the car up, i hear it the worst. then when it gets warmed up its not to bad just sitting at a light but as soon as the rpms go past 2000 i here a ticking or a scraching sound. sometimes it sounds something like what those kids do with the bikes and the cards in between the wheel. The car doesnt 'feel' like it pulls as hard, and like stated above its more jerky power.

this is getting to be a HUGH PITA. im thinking of having the the things welded together if i cant get it to stop soon.

-Taylor

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AspenWhite_Sti said:
mine sounds like a ticking sound. its soo anoyying. in the morning when i start the car up, i hear it the worst. then when it gets warmed up its not to bad just sitting at a light but as soon as the rpms go past 2000 i here a ticking or a scraching sound. sometimes it sounds something like what those kids do with the bikes and the cards in between the wheel. The car doesnt 'feel' like it pulls as hard, and like stated above its more jerky power.

this is getting to be a HUGH PITA. im thinking of having the the things welded together if i cant get it to stop soon.

-Taylor
Sounds all too familiar. Mine is much worse sounding when it's first started up and it's cold still.
I honestly never would've messed with the uppipe to begin with if I didn't need to for the EWG setup.
I've had nothing but problems around the manifold/upipe area because nothing ever fits like OEM :mad:
I'm really hoping this time will be the final fix.

Just curious, did you replace your upipe and then start having the problem or did it start from something else?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts