IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my new sti and am looking for a good kit from a known and reliable company for about 3-5k. Any suggestions or websites?

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
www.airpowersystems.com.au kits arnt released yet, but they been in this bussiness with subarus since they released the first WRX 1994 in australia and have alot of experiance in reliable high performance products. They have imported a USDM STi as well as a spare USDM engine for development to Australia :)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
well they have a kit comen out this month, but its not exactly 400, i think they said it was like 386 Im not sure, but check there website given above!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Therse no way you can get over 400hp without more then 3-5k... a bigger turbo kit is going to cost about that much alone. Then you need new injectors (850cc+), fuel pump, labor, new clutch (as ours hold out til about 300whp), new axels, new drive shaft (unless you plan on never launching it again or going fast in first gear), boost contoller, new MAF sensor, new intercooler, UTEC (or engine management of some kind), etc... theres a lot to be done more then just dropping in a turbo kit. Maybe 380-400hp is capable.. but you will end up needed that stuff one way or another soon if you plan going much higher.

Robert~

·
Registered
36 Posts
Try these folks.... http://www.vishnutuning.com/welcome.htm

As expected, it didn’t take too long for us to be presented with a hot new 300HP Impreza STi. Fast forward a few months and we’re proud to present our STi Stage 1 performance package. It consists of our very own 3” Turbo-back exhaust and an XEDE engine computer. With the ability to run both pump gas an race gas maps, our Stage 1 STi package will knock your socks off. Priced at $2200, we are confident that you won’t find a better value anywhere else. Please call us at (925) 924-9800 for more details.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree:)
Dan from Godspeed is making a kit from a Garrett GT35 turbo that will be 500+hp capable that has been well documented here, clubwrx and nasioc, do a search :wink:

Hes shooting for well under 4K on this kit, it comes with headers, DP, managment, ect.

Hes also making a GT30 based bolt on turbo that mounts to stock up-pipe and down-pipe patterns and will be capable of 400+hp, hes shotting for under 2K for this unit.

Dan is also a regular contributor here and other forums and doesnt just come around to pimp his products, Its nice to support others that take part in our little community, especially when they are working to put out such great products 8)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
very true invisiguard! Now i have a question, that gt-35r turbo what size does that compare to the turbonautics series? like example t-xx....?

·
Registered
251 Posts
invisigaurd, is this what your talking about....

Stage 4/GT35R package- 600 HP+ capability - $7500
Adds:

GT35R turbo with custom GT Spec header, custom Godspeed downpipe, external 44mm Tial wastegate, larger MAF housing, inlet pipe, outlet pipe for APS FMIC. Note, this kit will supply over 600 HP and should be used with reinforced block internals for getting the maximum power out of it.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
wow!

·
Registered
38 Posts
navy2004sti said:
I just bought my new sti and am looking for a good kit from a known and reliable company for about 3-5k. Any suggestions or websites?
Are you really that anxious to void your warranty? :wink:

But as a few have mentioned I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that you can get to that power level with stock turbo. Horsepower is made higher up in the rev range just when the VF39 dies out. 400 lb-ft peak of torque I'd say is no problem however.

P.S. someone mentioned Vishnu tuning, just as a precaution, I would steer clear of that place. Heard so many bad stories regarding that guy. It took him like 200 dyno pulls and 2 tanks of gas to tune a customer car, adding a measily 18 HP or something and then said drag racing was a waste of time, and he admitted not knowing how to read a freakin' time slip! LOL

What a clown...every good idea he ever had was stolen
check out the Evolution boards, he's getting ripped to shreds by the likes of Dave Buscher (Buscher Racing) on there

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
no shit? yea now is that VF-22 turbo that nice? I guess they say its bigger then our 39, is this true? and why didnt they just put it in our cars instead of the 39 if there that much better????

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sti_Time said:
Are you really that anxious to void your warranty? :wink:
Hell yes! :lol:

heh, but thats just me, Im already halfway through the warranty though and will probably be at 40K by the end of the year. Anyhow, The numbers I was refering to in my post were whp, if you were talking 400 crank, than thats broadens youe ooptions a bit. But the VF39 wont get you there, not even close. Dan from Godspeed was able to max out the VF39 at 312whp, this was with short ram, headers, downpipe, bigger injectors, fuel pump, FMIC, and engine management. In other words everything. :eek: This puts it at around 375 crank hp, a VF22 with the same mods would probably get you over 400 crank with these same mods, but its an older less efficient design and will lag more.

The problem with the VF22 is it sounds like a nice easy upgrade over the VF39, since its cheap(under700) and bolts right on with no other mods. Problem is that everything on the STi is already running the ragged edge, so much that you can max out the injectors with just the VF39, so there would be no point in running a VF22 keeping everything else stock since you dont have the fuel to get its full potential but get all of its lag. So you would need bigger injectors, but then you would need engine management for the bigger injectors, then you will need a better fuel pump to, so you see it becomes a bit of a slippery slope, if you going to do all of this, you would end up being much mor ehappy spenping a bit more on the turbo and getting a much more efficent one. :(

As for the GT35 turbo kit, whoa! :eek: I remember him throwing out the number $3500, so Im not sure what to think now, he posted here on this powertrain forum back in Dec with some good pics and info on this setup, we should ttt it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
well... i would go about this a bit different (as i am with mine)

definitely work on suspension mods before any power... plus by the time you're satisfied with the suspension - plug+play engine management will be out (ie plug-in xede, utec, ecutek, accessECU)...

if you do want more power - i would go for the godspeed stage 1 (or maybe just downpipe/sus combo)
wait for better management - then we will all see ridiculous power for next to nothing...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check out xccelleration. They have a nice kit for 3300. It puts the STI up to 430 hp. It includes new headers, intake, wiring harness, uni chip, up pipes, and i think somehting else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check out xccelleration. They have a nice kit for 3300. It puts the STI up to 430 hp. It includes new headers, intake, wiring harness, uni chip, up pipes, and i think somehting else.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Has anyone actually purchased and dyno'd this kit? I have my doubts about it...

http://www.xcceleration.com/sti.stagekit.430.htm

They are the ones with the wacked out dyno sheet where torque just drops like a rock after 4500 rpm... it's not even a torque curve, it's a torque landslide.

I'm not too sure about these guys, quite honestly, although I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

·
Registered
30 Posts
wheels?

Based on my limited research, there are no engine management available yet to fully control the timing, knock control, and remove some of the ECU built in features like fuel cuts. I can refer back to the WRX I had before STI. The engine management made a huge effect that I would not even attempt to upgrade it now to 400+ wheel horse power until I am confortable with controlling above variable through stand alone or reliable piggyback ECU. Being able to log and monitor what car is doing gave me the confidence to upgrade.

If I were you, I would wait until the after market catchs up with the new USDM STI engine.

How about doing some upgrade that you will need such as installing the EGT and Boost Guage? I would also spend $ on WBO2 tool that I can monitor the AFR as well....

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts