IW STi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my GT Spec header/uppipe combo about 2 weeks ago now. A few days after the install, I noticed an exhaust leak coming from up front. I got under there and saw that one of the 3 bolts that holds the header and the uppipe together (the top one thats a PITA to get to) was missing. I chaulked it up to me not tightening it up all the way since there is no way to apply a massive amount of torque to it. I replaced the bolt, and this time put blue loc-tite on it to stop it from backing out.

Last night, the leak was back, so I got under there and it was gone again :confused:. I replaced it again, but this time I sat there and tightened the hell out of it, and also used red loc-tite on it.

My question is, are these bolts simply breaking since there are no flex joints anywhere, or are they backing off and falling out? Both times, the bolts have been put in facing down. When I originally did the install, I used hardened bolts that were gold in color. I had that one planned, but both times I've replace them have been with ordinary bolts because they caught my by suprise. As soon as I get time, I'll get another hardened bolt, and see what can happen.

Can anyone with this header setup chime in here and tell me if they're having problems?

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
not sure where they are going, but make sure you are using a bolt that can handle the heat changes. some bolts/metal formulas will expand and contract quite a bit with heat and cold. that can easily loosen the bolts. add in vibration and i can imagine it falling off.

i'd go to napa and bring in the offending bolt for reference. ask them for the heaviest duty bolt they have in that size.

i did a similar thing when i swapped downpipes. i snapped a stud and bought the "regular" duty bolt. it loosened up on the way home. the "heavy duty" one i replaced it with has stayed tight ever since.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man, I'll check that out. The only thing that strikes me as odd is that the first time I did it, I used 3 identical hardened bolts, and the other 2 have been fine. The bolt in this 1 position keeps going.

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
you could maybe try crucial racing's "bolt locks".

they are made for the turbo, but maybe they would work in your case. i am not sure what the area looks like you are working in, but it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I lmao at the name of this thread at first. I was thinking "Damn those little punk bolts. Always stealing the car..."

You could try drilling through the end of the nut/bolt and putting a cotterpin in there.

·
pwn n00bs
18,247 Posts
how do you like the header/uppipe?
i want to get headers, but would like to get one with a egt bung already there and gt spec has that.

fitment is my concern..any power loss..

·
3,274 Posts
Sounds like the Crucial "bolt locks" are exactly what you need.

http://www.crucialracing.com/products/locking_hardware.php

They make some specificially for the uppipe to exhaust manifold connection. Since you're running the GTSpec header and uppipe you might have to tweak things a bit but it still should work and keep them locked down for you.

I'm installing my MadDad header + uppipe soon (same design as yours) I hope I dont have any problems with this. :(

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VSGTS14 said:
how do you like the header/uppipe?
i want to get headers, but would like to get one with a egt bung already there and gt spec has that.

fitment is my concern..any power loss..
They fit good for the mose part. I had to bend the lip on the subframe out of the way otherwise it would have hit. Taking the stock manifold/uppipe out was by far the hardest part of the install. I had to jack the motor up quite a bit to get the uppipe out (I removed it as one piece..might be easier to take it out in sections)

Other than this one bolt, there have not been any problems. I'm definately looking into this bolt lock thing you guys are talking about.

As far as gains go, I did not feel any loss of power down low like some have said. I put this in, and I put my TBE back on in the same day (removed them for Jet Hot 2000 coating). I had my EcuTeK flashed back to stock while the parts were off. When I re-installed everything [before my good map got put back in] I felt a huge power gain all the way up to redline.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just read the crucial link. Very informative :tup: These nuts have the same thread pattern as all the studs do?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts