IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My significant other is harping for some music in 'her' new car...

After looking at many aftermarket models, we are wanting to go with the OEM Subaru stereo system-receiver unit with 6 CD in-dash changer, 4 speakers, tweeter kit, and the sub/amp.

Who sells discounted Subaru parts (new) on the internet?

I'm a convert from VW so don't have any background in Subarus...

Very much enjoying the STI!

Thanks!

:)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ebay. You can get the head unit for like $150.

But why? You can spend much less than $1k on a great stereo that sounds much better than the garbage factory setup. Instead of a CD changer, I got an Alpine MP3 unit. About 10hrs or so of music (or books on tape or whatever) on a disc. Can't wait till they make affordable headunits that read DVD+R loaded with MP3s... or do they already?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where to buy STi in NOVA?

Several reasons...

Mainly because it the stock radio is well engineered to the OEM dash and will last a long time.

We have tapes and a few CDs so this option is nice.

The stock radio puts out sufficient sound for our needs.

The aftermarket receivers all looked very cheesy and pretty darn fragile-not sure they would last the entire 100,000 miles we are going to keep the car.

I know it sounds rather funny, but heh...:)

·
Registered
347 Posts
The Alpine I put in my brother's Volvo (used to be mine) has lasted over 200K miles, and, IMHO, is better looking and more durable than any factory stereo I have ever seen.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you would have said, "I like the stock setup because it's theftproof -- nobody in their right mind would steal it", I wouldn't argue with you. :)

There's no good engineering in the stock radio. It's a cheap Clarion unit. I have the stock unit in one of my cars, and an Alpine in the other. There's no comparison.

I recommend you rip those tapes to MP3s and burn them on disc. Your tapes will be toast long before an Alpine or whatever headunit will wear out! :)

Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43947&item=2426619481

T

·
0 Posts
I have to agree, I have the standard system in mine and although it sounds ok, it will be coming out for an aftermarket stereo after x-mas. Don't waste the money on the Subaru stereo, go aftermarket.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like www.subaruwrxparts.com is the winner!

To the rest that didn't offer any assistance thanks for nothing. :roll:

Hope this board doesn't turn into a closed minded little world like the VW boards did...

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
:)

actually it's not that bad
subaru stock looks good too

considering the fitment issues of the speakers are a bitch
mine rattles coz some screws got rusted and speaker magnet got the rust on it
oh well :(
gotta fix taht crap

1 - 10 of 10 Posts