IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my wrx I did it on the number three exhaust manifold because its the leanest cylinder in the ej-20 motors.

I seen a guy that tapped into an aftermarket downpipe on his sti looked cleanner, and since it was in the engine bay not susceptible to getting snagged.

Will this give accurate readings?

I noticed on evos it looks like they are mounted on the dp also.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I tapped off the #4 cylinder. (Drivers side exhaust manifold.) You won't get a very good idea of actual temperatures by using the downpipe. Some people claim you should use the uppipe as you can then monitor any changes from all four cylinders, but I still like the immediate feedback I get by being right off what I think is the leanest cylinder.

FWIW, I see EGT peaks at about 1550F with no other engine mods than the resonator removal.

-Nick

·
Registered
282 Posts
There's been a lot of debate about this on Nasioc. Theoretically, number 4 cylinder should run the leanest. Problem is that most blown motors happen at cylinder number 3. I think I'm going to go with #3... especially since it's easier than number 4 to do.

The ideal setup would be to monitor all 4 cylinders. I've really wanted to mount an extra sensor on number 4 and run both of the signals to some sort of switch that would make my gauge read 3 or 4 depending on the switch position. Since I've got the BF's, I could record them and compare numbers from similar runs and we could see which one runs hotter and which one has the most variation.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought number three was the leanest also, on the passenger side.

I also see about 1550 max but thats just during a full power run down the strip

1 - 6 of 6 Posts