IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does sti? come wit speakers?

I'm at 2000km on my car right now. I'm cleaning my wheels every week, it sbecoming to get annyoing. Will the brake dust stop after a certain mileage, or is it a Brembo thing?

·
Registered
167 Posts
HP brake bads generate a lot of dust. Its not necessarily a "Brembo" thing so much as it is a HP brake thing. You might try some EBC Green pads. They dust less, but may create less friction resulting in descreased braking performance.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would stay away from the EBC crap. I would give StopTec a call as I noticed on their website that they has some inexpensive pads that fit the STi but I'm not sure if they are high performance pad or not.

·
Registered
167 Posts
What seems to be the complaint with EBC? I've not used them myself, but heard from several people that EBC makes OK stuff. What would be wrong with using an EBC pad on a daily driver just to keep the dust down?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
EBCs will do fine for daily driving, but even just few autoxes and hard braking they will start leaving residues on the rotors and after a while they will be baked on to the rotors and you will have to resurface them.

I would highly recommend Porterfield R4S pads.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had the Porterfields and they are a great pad for autox but they create as much dust as the stock pads.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
My experiences have been a little different with them. Here are three pics of one of our cars. These are taken about 500 mi. of daily rush hour traffic after wash and wheel cleaning. The majority of the black spots on the wheels are actually what the OEM pads left after not cleaning them for extended periods of time.

With OEM pads, the spokes (so many of them :() used to get black just within few days.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I used a set of those on our '03 325i and after 3000 miles, the dealer just had to replace all the rotors and pads. Apparently, the R4S's had chewed through the rotors. (I put these on at 1000 miles, and the car is only daily driven by my wife). According to the Porterfield dealer, there was a bad batch of these... however, they couldn't do anything for me since the dealer had been nice enough to through away the old pads before I knew to get them back from them. Oh well, $200 down the drain. Won't be buying from Porterfield again... :roll:

Randy

·
Registered
105 Posts
Porterfield R4S

Oh yeah, as a side note, they did dust about 1/3 to 1/2 as much as the stock pads. I know we're talking BMW here, but I read in one post on "another forum" that the Sti's are the same make. (Jured, or something to that effect.)

Randy

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Re: y2ks2k, can you give me your opinion?

Yeah, for now I'm being anal about the dust and cleaning wheels every week. I'm sure by next year that will get old, and I'll just live with it. So, my front wheels are gun-metal gray and not silver - I'll take that, with the accompanying performance any day.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Randy,

Sorry to hear your problems. I certainly have not had issues with the PB's and do like them. Looking at the STi's wheels, like ValvetrainEngineer states, they are nearly gun metal within 100 to 150 miles. I will be changing them to R4Ss as well soon and also get replacement slotted rotors from Porterfield.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts