·
Registered
7,872 Posts
FULL LOCK - Snow/Rally, Sliding around in wet low tractions parking lots
0% Most everything else.

Auto + Rain
Auto for daily driving
Auto - for aggressive driving
I use full lock in snow or overly slippery conditions. I set it to about 50% for rally type driving. Lets the rear rotate while still giving you plenty of control. Full lock while doing this doesn't let the rear slide around as much. I do the auto modes the same as you, though.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
All the fucking time....Gotta make sure its working properly every now and then too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcnQMYPCbec

Lock for ultra grip in gravle and dirt

open for fun and teaching myself to adapt to a completely different driving feel almost. Suck when its open and i forget though. Really shitty

never really left in the middle much.

In the video you can see the front tires do a little jerk then release. Seems to be working with 145k on it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Auto for most driving.

Full lock for low traction times -- super heavy rain or icy, snowpacked roads. Also for sliding around in really deep snow (10+ inches, above the body line type snow).

Full open only if I want to be able to really pivot the car around the front wheels. Usually only if I want to slide around and the surface is on the grippier side of things. Then again, I have an 05 so I have more power going to the rear wheels than the newer cars do, it's already very easy to get it to rotate.

The middle settings are used during autox or track days as needed. Usually somewhere in the middle. Too far towards open and I have trouble putting the power down coming out of tight corners.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
To be honest for daily driving i usually leave it on AUTO. If im out doing some spirited/agressive driving up in the mountains then ill put it to (+) just incase. If its wet out/raining, i put the car in (+) mode. If there are a couple of inches of snow on the ground i will lock the diff up 2-3 bars and thats really about it. I have never put the car in (-) mode.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Next time it rains yall need to go to an empty park lot, set the mo fo to open...Turn and floor it, then proceed to have fun and learn more control. Your gonna end up selling the car if you dont have fun, thats why people get new shit cause they dont know how to have fun with what they got. Grow a pair

And record it, I want to see it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I haven't felt much of a difference between M-0% and Auto (-) or Auto...but then again, I'm just doing normal commuting.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I leave it in Auto for DD use.

On the track, I've tried manual with each bar except the "locked" setting, as well as Auto + and -

I liked Auto - the best, personally. Just seemed to be the setting that allows me to rotate the car more on corner entry and get on throttle early on corner exit. All the other settings seemed to give heavier steering, or a tendency to push more on corner entry.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
99.9% of the time I keep my 06 in auto, but in the winter I will put it in full lock sometimes, such as when starting from a stop on a very steep snow packed hill or generally in heavy unplowed snow. It does provide opportunity to experiment with it when in snows to see how well it works though. I had summer tires in one storm, and could come to a complete stop on a snow packed hill that it would normally skid all over trying to get up, but in full lock it rolled up without spinning the tires..summer tires mind you, so that diff works awesome. With snow tires I can leave it in auto all the time, and the only time I'll use full lock is for driving down unplowed roads with more than a foot of snow or for exploring unplowed parking lots to make tracks through the snow. Generally the auto setting works so well I forget all about the other settings. If I tracked the car I'd tailor the torque accordingly through the adjustment.

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
No high abuse use :)

Auto mode most all the time.
100% only on snow covered roads. This is a huge difference and benefit.
Experienced binding on the street when I experimented with other settings

·
Registered
340 Posts
Auto all the time.

I tried what a lot of people say they do and that is one notch down for spirited driving, but I couldn't tell that much difference and.... to be honest, I need all the 'assistance' I can get. :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Going back to expectation. If a car coming into a corner too fast that causes the front wheel to lost traction, a car will always push (understeer). If people are driving that way, even RWD car would understeer badly and that no DCCD mode can magically help you.

STI will always understeer in its stock form and was designed that way to make it easier to learn to drive. I myself don't like this, but people can easily correct this with suspension upgrades.

DCCD set to manual open would usually get the most reduction of understeer, but that depending on how you are driving it to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
So far I see no need for manual settings besides full lock in deep snow, but I have the A+/A- options which are excellent imo.

A+ locks up quick but allows slip in corners, full lock kinda just pivots around, you can't really track through tighter turns even if you want to. Great in deep snow though, lots of fun.

A- is a lot like full open but it puts the power down out of corners much better.

tl;dr A- is better than full open in every situation so far and A+ is better than full lock most of the time.

A+ on a dirt road is mind blowing, the car is amazing and scary fast.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Normally full-open. I noticed that in full-open position and on wet tarmac rear wheels may spin on corner exits (like hairpin turns) especially if the engine is modded with high torque levels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad I read this thread. It encouraged me to spend more time in Auto + (with TC and ESC off). Wow the car rails on slick and dirt road. I really like it.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts