IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All season tires thread.

Does anyone know what the torque setting should be when putting on new wheels? I recently purchased a pair of wheels and tires for the winter, and am thinking about installing them soon (it actually snowed here today!). I have heard anywhere between 75-100. I couldn't seem to find the information in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
524 Posts
bigman32 said:
Does anyone know what the torque setting should be when putting on new wheels? I recently purchased a pair of wheels and tires for the winter, and am thinking about installing them soon (it actually snowed here today!). I have heard anywhere between 75-100. I couldn't seem to find the information in the owner's manual.
100 ft-lbs?? :eek: for aftermarket wheels, I would go with 75 ft-lbs for now until you find more specific info. re-torque after 25, 50 and 100 miles..yada, yada, yada :lol:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Re: how bad to run BBS wheels in winter?

bigman32 said:
65.7 ft-lbs. It isn't in the owners manual for some ridiculous reason. But the service manual says 65.7. That's what my lugs were at on my BBS, and that is what I have my Rota SDRs set to know. Remember to torque in a star pattern : )

-st

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
65.7 ft-lbs. It isn't in the owners manual for some ridiculous reason. But the service manual says 65.7.
I thought you were confused/mis-spoken. I can't believe it, service manual says 66ft-lbs, just checked myself. just a little more than finger tight. lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I am a little surprised that it's only 66 lb-ft. Like others have said, that barely more than finger tight! But, if that's what the service manual says, then that's what I'll do. I wonder why they neglected to put that in the owner's manual? With the Potenza's they put on the car at the factory, they must know that everyone who drives their car in the snow will need to change tires. Oh well. Thanks for the info everyone.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
bigman32 said:
Thanks for the info. I am a little surprised that it's only 66 lb-ft. Like others have said, that barely more than finger tight! But, if that's what the service manual says, then that's what I'll do. I wonder why they neglected to put that in the owner's manual? With the Potenza's they put on the car at the factory, they must know that everyone who drives their car in the snow will need to change tires. Oh well. Thanks for the info everyone.
Well it was 89ft-lbs on my A6, but those were actually bolts, not studs and nuts (proper term? whatever). I guess the main danger would be stripping the nuts. The main thing is to torque them in a star, people that torque in a circle might end up with one at 66, one at 55, and one at 44 as an example. That could be bad : )

-st

·
Registered
347 Posts
i'm pretty sure 66 lb/ft is a little more than finger tight. remember how it works, thats 66lbs at the end of a 1' lever...
much tighter than that and you might warp a rotor.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
i dont think 66ft-lbs was chosen because the lugnuts will strip. our bbs wheels have what looks like a steel insert around lugs. my honda civic requires aprox 80 ft-lbs and my pickup is 105 ft-lbs, honda and truck both have alum. wheels without steel inserts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts