IW STi Forum banner

What's your mod plans!?

2K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  canadaman13 
#1 ·
I know there's been a thread on this, but since the heavier modding has begun, I would like to hear what your guys' plans are for the upcoming future.

This is my plan:

Power: ~400whp/High 11's

-Turboback (currently on my wrx)
-Blitz SUS (currently on my wrx)
-Injectors/Pump
-APS SR50
-APS DR500 FMIC
-UTEC
-Dyno Tune

Show:

-In dash DVD
-Tint
-Body kit
-Rims (18's or 19's)
-Coilovers (Tein Flex with EDFC)
-Carbon Fiber Trunk/Hood

Hopefully I'll be sponsered by Spring, so you guys will be in for a treat :D

See less See more
#2 ·
Although nothing is set in stone:

-Utech or APS unichip
-CF hood and trunk
-3 or 3.5" turbo-back exhaust, with or without a cat (depends on when they start testing around here)
-bigger turbo (APS DR65)
-FMIC (APS DR650) and BOV
-Header (probably unequal length) and up-pipe
-coil-over suspension (JIC)

I want to wait for a while before I start, though.

#3 ·
Right now I'm stock, but here's my immediate mods for the next 1-4 monthes:

silence removal
yellow headlight removal
Blitz SUS intake
catless downpipe
snow or all season tires

other very possible mods:
boost gauge and ebc or mbc
catback
STi pinks
perrin crank pulley
fuel cut defender

My immediate goal is 300whp/325awtq at ~ 12.5 1/4 mile. Who knows what the future will hold.

#4 ·
Mods On:
Perrin Inlet Hose,
Perrin SRI,
Perrin Catch Can,
Perrin Crank Pulley,
Perrin Radiator Shroud,
Whiteline Diff Bushings,
StaticX Grounding Kit,
STI Strut Bars (Front and Rear),
Sti Radiator Cap,

Mods Coming:
Blitz Nur Spec R - comes in Friday 11/14 :D,
GodSpeed DP (soon),
UTEC(on pre-order list),
GodSpeed Radiator,
APS FMIC DR650,
and whenever this one goes out a new Garret turbocharger.

Robert~

#5 ·
staticx313 said:
APS FMIC DR650,
and whenever this one goes out a new Garret turbocharger.

Robert~
Which Garret turbo? Unless you're going for 500-600whp, I truly believe that the 650 is somewhat overkill. The 500 is HUGE to begin with. I'm sure Dan @ Godspeed will tell you that "it won't hurt" but I think it's just added weight and extra money. But if you're willing to spend that extra $$, be my guest, because I can't wait to hear about the outcome. Where do you live Static?

Like I said, I'm planning on going with the DR500, but that's not set in stone. I have a good deal of research to do on the subject, which includes letting others take the plunge before me :lol:

#7 ·
HAHAHA! Just call it a "STGK" :p

Mods done:
Full Stongard
Window tint
Full alarm system
Fairly lightweight stereo system (complete with 10 oz. sub enclosure)
Prodrive 18" PFF7 wheels in British Pewter
Yokohama Parada Spec-2 225/40-18 tires (should have gone a tad wider)

Planned mods, so far:
STi lowering springs / Cusco Zero-2 coilover system (sometime next spring)
Cusco lower front crossbrace
Cusco upgraded swaybars, front and back
UTEC box. . . . whenever that comes out
TB exhaust with HF cat
Full Defi instrumentation (getting in on BG's group buy ;))
Sparco Milano seats in blue (maybe)

Distant future mods:
Major engine work with possible FMIC changeover
Body kit? Not likely, but there are a few I really like

#8 ·
singletrack said:
Haha - that sounds cool! I have a Singletrack grounding kit; doesn't sound as cool ; (
Yukonart said:
HAHAHA! Just call it a "STGK" :p
lol!! Well you know singletrack you can always buy mine ;)... its all about having a cool name to your product too ;). As for DR650... I really dont know how much it costs, but after doing research on Supra TTs for years, I realized that you should either go with the biggest/baddest intercooler (AKA the Greddy 3 or 4 Row) or you will be dissapointed with the results and end up having to upgrade/replace. This is all just theory though on my part. I dont really know how much better the DR650 will be vs DR500, but usually the prices are only like ~$100-200 difference (it might be different in this casE) so I figured might as well go all out. As for the Garrett turbocharger, they seem to have the most efficent/powerful/reliable turbochargers out there and I hope to go wit ha semi-small-medium one. probably a GT32 or GT35 (somethign that wont cause a huge difference in lag, but basically get it for its reliability and the fact they are dual ball bearing and such). Dan said he would have some kits, so I am waiting for him to release those. So far I have been completely dissapointed with how IHI's vf39 has been (having to port the WG to get past boost creep and crap from a simple TBE and problesm of the sort)...

Robert~

edit: o ya i live in huntsville, AL

#11 ·
maybe some people are just going to test em out first? i know the guy from florence (reinchms) wants to test its full potential stock so he knows what hes dealing with ( a very good and smart idea) I just got carried away and started modding :)

Robert~

#12 ·
Part of it too is that it is already a very capable car with a decent warranty. Some people like myself are not keen to get too carried away until we have had time to thoroughly get to know the car and decide what makes sense and what doesn't. Also figure out how mod friendly subaru really is.

Sorry, just that not everyone can throw down $30k and immediately want to mess with a great car. I know of many people that have ripped apart stock cars and thrown in mods that sounded great on paper only to lose driveability and reliability and not gain nearly as much in return as they thought they would. You know as well as I do that everything is heavily interdependant on these cars, you can't just throw in a bunch of junk without tuning your ECU, for example, and expect good results.

Whatever mods I make are going to be heavily researched, based on the experience of others, and purchased from and installed by reliable vendors.

#14 ·
staticx313 said:
heh ya thats why us test rats are here ;) ... gotta be someone out there to try this stuff out. Good point though radar.

Robert~
Don't get me wrong, I completely understand where you're coming from about the "dropping 30k on the car then..", but I know there's people out there with big plans. I guess it's just different coming from the WRX world. If I were to make the same post on clubwrx, the thread would be full of people's future plans/wants/etc. But then I realize this car has only been out for a couple months.

Be on the lookout for me to try a couple new things :lol:

#15 ·
also about the 650 FMIC guru said: "Sorry guys, been super busy. With the displacement and the potential of this motor I tell guys to go ahead and get the DR650. It isn't much more and I'd hate to have them change it out later on." ... thats exaclty my reasoning as well. Although i doubt i will be spending that much money since it takes me a month to just save up for a used cat back exhaust ;)

Robert~

#16 ·
Curerent Mods:
WorxTuning BOV
Ultimate grounding kit (replaces negative wires w/ 4 gauge)
Zero loss grounding kit
SRP Engineering carbon fiber radiator shroud
Perrin catch can

Future Mods:
FMIC - APS/Turbo XS
Coilovers - JIC/Tein/Cusco
18" Volks
bigger turbo
UTEC/Exede/AccessTuner
JIC Magic Ti cat-back exhaust
DP (have not decided)
JUN/Maxim Works equal length header
Do Luck 6 pt sub frame
Recaro seats
Alpine 7998 HU
Boston Acoustics Pro 6.5" - front
Boston Acoustics 5.5" - rear
Precision Power amps
sub - have not decided
Strut tower bars - front and rear
Burn up front bumper
Reverse cowl hood - once they are released
Carbon fiber trunk lid
Window tint - before next summer, it gets hot in Dallas

More to come, just can't think of everything right now. :D

#17 ·
RLsChMiDt said:
I'm still curious about people's future plans. Why so little response?
At least for me, I want a trouble-free car. My Audi was a nightmare in terms of reliability and I was constantly going to the dealer every 2-4 weeks for something. The STi is fast as hell and really doesn't need much to be honest. The other side of it is that no one has really figured out what's safe on this motor yet. I'm waiting to see what people do to it and what the results are. Certainly we need engine management to do anything properly/efficiently.

-st

#19 ·
Currently I have 415 crank hp an im shooting for 550 crank hp

Mods installed
gpmoto intake
gpmoto turbo back exhaust
gpmoto equal length heads
unichip w/boost and waters spray controller
-------------$2500.00-----------
Future mods
20g turbo
gpmoto FMIC
650cc injectors
fuel pump
fuel regulator
new unichip coming out in the first quarder of 2004
cluch
lighter flywheel
lighter crank pully
-------------$4700.00------------

#20 ·
WRC carbon mirrors

So far on the car I have a Godspeed downpipe, Perrin pulley and STI valve stem caps :wink: Sitting in Garage I have a Blitz dc series 60mm Boost guage and a Greddy Profec b spec 2 ready to go.

Future includes Cat back Exhaust possibly Blitz, Fujitsobo or Maybe Greddy Evo.

Engine mgmt?? Yes of course but not sure which.

Volk te37,le37 , Ce28 or possibly a set of Wed's(forget the model name) Lowered on Pinks or possibly coilovers.

Also definately seats, other suspension mods and bigger turbo.

#21 ·
OEM Lip- $450

STi Pink (JDM) Springs-$360
STi Pink Lateral and Trailing Arms-$340
Cusco Rear Sway- $160

Pads-- (??? still not sure)
ATE Superblue Fluid
Brake Ducting

Intake Silencer Removed
Silencer Delete Elbow- $45
Perrin Crank Pulley- $120
Perrin Catchcan- $120
Godspeed Catless Downpipe w/ CEL fix- $300
P&P Turbo/Wastegate- $130
Greddy Evo or Blitz Nur Spec R Cat-back- $550
Vishnu Reflash (when available)- $???

(3) Omori 60mm Gauges with Defi Dash Pod
Alpine 9813
MB Quart Reference 6.5’’

Lots of small stuff :)

#23 ·
Done:
Tint
Clear Bra
Rota Tarmac II w/ Vredestein Wintrac V-rated for winter
McGard Spline Drive Lug Nuts (For above wheels)
Big heavy lug nut wrench from Checker for above spline drive adaptors :(
Underpowerd sound system (but its light!)
Intake silencer removed with velocity stack addition

In process:
STi pink lowering springs
Whiteline steering rack busings
Performance oriented alignment

In the near future:
Strut bars, Group N strut top mounts
Sway bars if necessary
Big fat rims with big fat r-compound tires for auotx
Rear seat removal and some upolustrey work to clean it up.
A/C Removal
4 point harnesses
"UberWagon grounding kit"
Crank Pulley
Driver's School

In the farther future:

UTEC and exhaust (once boost creep issues are worked out...add new turbo or port job if not.)
SS brake lines
Better pads/Stoptech slotted rotors
Sparco Evo seats
NVH inducing bushings where ever possible
Another Driver's school
Coilovers?

...and a second job to pay off the Visa!

#24 ·
Radar's comments hit home w/ me. I'm look'n at all this think'n... Let's see, this car's been out (in a USA config) less than a year, sooo... how is it that all these mfg'rs have arrived at their optimum wiz-bang go-fast STi solution so quickly?... To sell parts perhaps?... Nah...

I'm reminded of the ausie web-article (incl dyno data) on the USA-version of the venerable 2-L WRX where they found that all the super-woofus turbo, exhaust, etc mod's meant nothing w/o an ECU piggyback... How much USA-$$ u suppose went the way of the dodo for all those wiz-bang mods that didn't pan out except in the mind of the "beholder" - unless & until the unwitting spent yet more $$ for the 1 thing they needed in the 1st place - an ECU... Hmm...

Don't get me wrong. You "mod-ready" guys are certainly on top of it - heck I couldn't name any of these mfg'rs a few wks ago - but I'm inclined to keep my powder dry, and my warranty intact while I check this site (and others) often... Meantime I'm fine with the OEM perf, ping and all (CA-gas hampered)... Then again, some might consider me a prude... Ah, but that's what they said about the value-investor during the tech-bubble...

#25 ·
brodie said:
Radar's comments hit home w/ me. I'm look'n at all this think'n... Let's see, this car's been out (in a USA config) less than a year, sooo... how is it that all these mfg'rs have arrived at their optimum wiz-bang go-fast STi solution so quickly?... To sell parts perhaps?... Nah...

well for starters, some people just created a product ASAP not (possibly) thinking about the consequences and end-result... such as the turboXS TBE and such melting bumpers. Their system was out for the STi as soon as I had mine 4 months ago, but as you can see it had some problems. Also companies like APS are still doing studies and tests, we aretn all modding expecting every last hp / tq to be pulled from mods that just came out (as companies are still designing and improvig), i know i did mine just to modify it :) and have fun. i could care less about my hp increase (as long as I dont lose any of course ;) )

I'm reminded of the ausie web-article (incl dyno data) on the USA-version of the venerable 2-L WRX where they found that all the super-woofus turbo, exhaust, etc mod's meant nothing w/o an ECU piggyback... How much USA-$$ u suppose went the way of the dodo for all those wiz-bang mods that didn't pan out except in the mind of the "beholder" - unless & until the unwitting spent yet more $$ for the 1 thing they needed in the 1st place - an ECU... Hmm...
you're right... when UTEC or a better ecu system comes out all our mods will probably work 2x better (if thats what you mean), but until then, why not just have fun modifying? Its not always about pure horsepower, some of us are just having fun and like working on cars. That and with the ECU thing... at least now I have all the mods I want to do , done, that way i dont have to retune every single time, just go in and set it up for my modifications and be done with it all at once.

Don't get me wrong. You "mod-ready" guys are certainly on top of it - heck I couldn't name any of these mfg'rs a few wks ago - but I'm inclined to keep my powder dry, and my warranty intact while I check this site (and others) often... Meantime I'm fine with the OEM perf, ping and all (CA-gas hampered)... Then again, some might consider me a prude... Ah, but that's what they said about the value-investor during the tech-bubble...
its np man, not everyone is going to buy their ~$30k car and just start putting mods on it... some of us are. I dont think anyone has done anything thats relatively serious (turbo upgrades and such), but Im sure its been done. but like I said, not all of us do it to get every last ounce of hp... i just do it for fun and so i can work on my car
Robert~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.