IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting a set of Yokohama Advan Sport 255/35/18's for my new set of Volk Time Attack CE28N's (18x8.5 w/+52mm offset). They'll mostly be used for canyon driving and some track. They're spendy so if you've got something that you like better in that size for less $$$, I'm all ears.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
what suspension are you running?

if you're running coilovers you'll have issues fitting a 255 on a wheel with that offset.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have Cusco Zero 2R coilovers. I'm going to get my tires through a local America's tire retail store. They're working with me to scale down to a set of 235/40/18's if the 255's won't work. We'll split the extra shipping charges.

Here's a link to some pics of another poster who has the same wheels with a set of 255/35/18's. I don't know what suspension he's running but the car is obviously lowered. I PM'd him regarding his suspension but never got a reply back.

http://home.comcast.net/~teggsrracer/Sti/index.html

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
I highly doubt they will fit but if you've got someone willing to test it out that's a plus.

the 235/40 18 should fit as long as you don't use rear camber bolts to increase the negative camber in the rear.

do you have adjustable rear top hats?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
T3h_Clap said:
I highly doubt they will fit but if you've got someone willing to test it out that's a plus.

the 235/40 18 should fit as long as you don't use rear camber bolts to increase the negative camber in the rear.

do you have adjustable rear top hats?
I just heard from the other person who has the Time Attacks and he is using a set of Tein Flex coilovers with no rubbing issues. Are the Cusco coilovers that much different? I have no rear camber bolts or rear top hats but will consider anything to make this work, short of changing out my coilovers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
how about a 18x8.5 wheel with a +45 offset with 255/35 18's? I don't have coilovers yet, but they are on the list. As for tires there aren't that many options for this particular tire size, BFG's kdw, Goodyear GSD3's, Kuhmo ecsta 712, Toyo T1r's, and T1s's, Pirelli P zero corsa. A variety of bridgstones. But the falken rt 615 is not an option (the tire that I would prefer in this size). I'll probably end up going with one of the toyos myself significantly lighter than most tires this size, and at a pretty good price compared to most of their competiors.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
Nutmegman said:
I just heard from the other person who has the Time Attacks and he is using a set of Tein Flex coilovers with no rubbing issues. Are the Cusco coilovers that much different? I have no rear camber bolts or rear top hats but will consider anything to make this work, short of changing out my coilovers.

what size tires was he running? and it really depends which tire, and what ride height he is at.

and there is alot of difference between coilover a.) and coilover b.) I personally havn't had any first had with either the Flex or the Cusco.

but I do know that a 255/35 18 fits on a 9" with a +42mm offset, but it required 2+ degrees of negative camber.

simply due to the high offset of the time attacks and the fact that coilovers require more clearance I'd be hard pressed to drop $800 on a set of tires and find out they don't fit.

but you said you've got a deal with your tire place? then go for it.

I personally know that a wheel and tire combo with a similar amount of tire on the "inboard" side was rubbing on my KW's

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
bradfield said:
how about a 18x8.5 wheel with a +45 offset with 255/35 18's? I don't have coilovers yet, but they are on the list. As for tires there aren't that many options for this particular tire size, BFG's kdw, Goodyear GSD3's, Kuhmo ecsta 712, Toyo T1r's, and T1s's, Pirelli P zero corsa. A variety of bridgstones. But the falken rt 615 is not an option (the tire that I would prefer in this size). I'll probably end up going with one of the toyos myself significantly lighter than most tires this size, and at a pretty good price compared to most of their competiors.
if you're on stock struts you shouldn't have any issues with rubbing on the strut. You may have issues with the fenders though.

but if you plan on upgrading to coilovers you could run into issues.

I currently run an 18x8.5 +45mm with 235/40s and I'm close to rubbing in the rear but that's b/c of my massive amounts of rear camber. Once i get my alignment finalized (getting camber bolts early next week), I should have more clearance. Not sure if it's enough clearance for a 255 though.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
T3h_Clap said:
what size tires was he running? and it really depends which tire, and what ride height he is at.

and there is alot of difference between coilover a.) and coilover b.) I personally havn't had any first had with either the Flex or the Cusco.

but I do know that a 255/35 18 fits on a 9" with a +42mm offset, but it required 2+ degrees of negative camber.

simply due to the high offset of the time attacks and the fact that coilovers require more clearance I'd be hard pressed to drop $800 on a set of tires and find out they don't fit.

but you said you've got a deal with your tire place? then go for it.

I personally know that a wheel and tire combo with a similar amount of tire on the "inboard" side was rubbing on my KW's
Aspenwht05sti has a set of Toyo T1R's on his car is going to post some more pics of his Volk Time Attacks in this thread to show his wheel clearance. Whatever tires I get, they will fit right. Like you said, I really won't know if they'll fit until I try the 255's on the car. If not, I'll go with a set of 235/40's where my selection of brands is much greater including Advan Neova's and Falken RT-615's. America's Tire will even price match my best internet price on the new tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts