IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Well the old reliable webhosting saves the day... forgot all about it. Here is the chart, I was slightly off. ~173 MPH at redline.

· Registered
6,610 Posts
thats only possible if you remove the restriction put in by the government. You're limited to like 145 if i remember right.

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
BlackSTI2006 said:
so moral of the story, buy street tuner for your accessport and set the rev-limiter at 8k and you can make the 200mph mark!:clap:

It won't ever get there, not to mention the motor isn't meant to rev to 8k.

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
evilSTi7 said:
stock sti, it would be close. stg 2 w/ protune def

I'm searching for where I saw this, but I believe someone stated it required ~350whp to reach the theoretical top speed. This is the power required to overcome the wind resistance. Hopefully I come across the thread, or find a picture saved on my hosting to back this claim up.

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
nhluhr said:
Yeah that was me. And I'm guessing you didn't read my caveat. That is JUST the wind resistance. There are many other factors, such as an exponetial rise in driveline drag as speed increases, tire drag, etc.

In reality, it would take upwards of 450 crank hp to reach the top speed in 6th gear.

Thanks for the reposting of the graph Nhluhr. I remembered reading this from a thread awhile ago. I didn't remember every detail or specifics of your graphical information. I did comprehend that this only took into consideration the wind resistance, but it did not last with my memory.

· The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
10,384 Posts
Ben has reached top speed in his sti, and that was before it was fully stripped and set up for track duty. also there's a video of crechief's sti with the speedo pegged. even though the speedo's off by a couple mph, i'm sure he got close to top speed.

· Registered
370 Posts
LOLSTi said:
The government does not place a speed limiter on your automobile.
If it's not the government, then who? I can't imagine SOA does it. For years it seems, I've read that many, if not all, high performance vehicles sold in the USDM are ECU limited to 147mph.

Look at the 'Drivetrain' section in the bottom right:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/652003134229.pdf

· Registered
4,011 Posts
IndySTi said:
If it's not the government, then who? I can't imagine SOA does it. For years it seems, I've read that many, if not all, high performance vehicles sold in the USDM are ECU limited to 147mph.

Look at the 'Drivetrain' section in the bottom right:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/652003134229.pdf
If it was mandatory why doesn't the Evo sitting right next to it have the limiter. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.