IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, sorry if there is a thread just like this but I couldnt find it on the search or on google.

My question is what is the most important mods to do to the engine? I'm thinking of a a/o separator because I think I am running oil into my intercooler and just want that extra protection. So basically looking for mods for the engine for protection if any more than the a/o separator?

I've been doing some research on the crankcase and all that lead me to the a/o separator. My sti has almost 138,xxx miles. Only mods i got are a Cobb intake, mudflaps, and samco radiator hoses. I plan on replacing most of the hoses and definitely the intercooler ones because there starting to go bad.

Any ideas or input would be much
appreciated. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If given those parameters and streakily looking for longevity and protection...

- AOS

- Meth 50/50 ( no gain, just protection )

- Tune

Good Luck !

[URL=http://i.imgur.com/Mtq4Sm.jpg]Image Link
[/URL]
What is the meth 50/50? I have heard of the meth and alcohol but haven't really done any research on it and just hear mixed reviews on it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Since you have an 05 you don't have to worry about as much stuff as you would with newer models. I would say a Killer B Oil setup and just finding an oil that works well with your motor. With a stock turbo non built motor I would say an AOS is not necessary, and if you're consuming more oil than the norm there's probably something actually wrong with your motor. Also make sure all the 100k maintenance stuff has been done.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
If you are running into an issue to where you have oil in your intercooler and turbo inlet pipe, I'd certainly get and AOS or some type of catch can setup to deal with the blow by of the oil.

·
Registered
781 Posts
If you are running into an issue to where you have oil in your intercooler and turbo inlet pipe, I'd certainly get and AOS or some type of catch can setup to deal with the blow by of the oil.
I wouldn't rush into something like that so quickly. He should try some Motul/Rotella/Amsoil and see if they do anything before throwing down so much money on something that might not be a problem.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
How would switching oil solve this issue? It's not a consumption problem. Its a blow by problem.

I've seen plenty of stock turbo charged Subarus with oil blow by. The first mod I did to my '04 was a catch can. Why? Because my '03 WRX had oil blow by and it was stock.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I plan on looking at my intercooler today if i get off work at a decent time today. I also changed my oil recently and switched from using 5w30 to 10w30. Been getting better gas mileage from switching.

·
Registered
781 Posts
How would switching oil solve this issue? It's not a consumption problem. Its a blow by problem.

I've seen plenty of stock turbo charged Subarus with oil blow by. The first mod I did to my '04 was a catch can. Why? Because my '03 WRX had oil blow by and it was stock.
No shit, most if not all STI's have blowby. What I am saying is that he should try a different oil and see if it helps rather than spending a whole bunch of money on an AOS. I've said this twice now and you're likely to make another post about it because you clearly don't get what I'm saying.

I plan on changing my intercooler today if i get off work at a decent time today. I also changed my oil recently and switched from using 5w30 to 10w30. Been getting better gas mileage from switching.
What brand of oil are you using?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
No shit, most if not all STI's have blowby. What I am saying is that he should try a different oil and see if it helps rather than spending a whole bunch of money on an AOS. I've said this twice now and you're likely to make another post about it because you clearly don't get what I'm saying.

What brand of oil are you using?
You're right, I am making another post and you're right again, I don't get what you're saying. Care to explain it to me and the OP instead of just re-posting shit without an explanation? Simply suggesting he tries other brands and not explaining why doesn't make any sense to me. Now if you were to say try a different brand and weight then I could probably see that.

·
Registered
781 Posts
You're right, and you're right. I don't get what you're saying. Care to explain it to me and the OP instead of just re-posting shit without an explanation? Simply suggesting he tries other brands and not explaining why doesn't make any sense to me. Now if you were to say try a different brand and weight then I could probably see that.
Because certain brands of oil work better on our cars than others. For instance almost everyone that has used Mobil 1 has had problems with it, and almost everyone that has used Motul has had great results; this is backed up by Blackstone Labs oil analysis' that people have done. Weight should be 5W30 honestly.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I certainly agree some brands are better than others for sure. Not sure it will cure his oil blow by problem, but doesn't hurt to try.

To the OP, you will still need to clean out the current oil blow by that is in your system.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was using Castrol edge titanium 5w-30. And switched to valvoline 10w-30 high mileage.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been running it for 3 days now and the only difference I have notice was gas mileage. Before I was getting 200 if lucky 210. Since I changed it I got 240 but I had a half a tank. So I am curious on what it's going to be after this tank of gas I just put in it. I only use 93oct at chevron.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts