IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Up until now I have not launched my car at anything above ~3,000 RPM because i'm worried about breaking something. Could you guys please tell me what is the highest RPM I can launch my car at that will not break, damage, ruin, or hurt anything?

Thanks

·
Banned
8,226 Posts
Its not about the RPM's you launch at, its *how* you launch.

I launch at 5,500- 6,000 RPMS.

then again this is all dependable on tire pressure and how worn the tires are.

Bald stockies are alittle different then brand new tires ;)

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Redline. Really, you stand to do far less damage to your car if you let it bounce of the rev limiter and drop the clutch than if you did the same at 3500 RPM. The difference is that at redline you'll spin the tires, but at 3500 RPM's you won't, your drivetrain will have to soak up all that energy.

I'm still fine tuning my launch, but I'm good for a consistent 1.8 60' time at the drag strip.

I find that 5500 RPM's makes for a good launch. But I'm trying to adjust my clutch work to see if I can't lower it a bit more so I don't get as much wheelspin.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Mykl said:
Redline. Really, you stand to do far less damage to your car if you let it bounce of the rev limiter and drop the clutch than if you did the same at 3500 RPM. The difference is that at redline you'll spin the tires, but at 3500 RPM's you won't, your drivetrain will have to soak up all that energy.
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on this forum, it doesn't matter how you try and justify it, it's not safe to drop the clutch at redline and everything i've read on the forum in the 3 years i've been here completely contradicts what you just said.

The STI is not a Camaro, just because you get good 60 foot times doesn't mean what you're doing is safe for the car. There is no way you can tell me dumping the clutch at 7k RPM is a safe way to launch, no friggen way. I truly feel sorry for the future owner of your car, this is why i'd NEVER buy a used STI or similar performance car, because the previous owner probably did dumb stuff like this.

·
IWSTI Club Level 11ty
5,687 Posts
Jag32 said:
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on this forum, it doesn't matter how you try and justify it, it's not safe to drop the clutch at redline and everything i've red on the forum in the 3 years i've been here completely contradicts what you just said.

lol. who needs launch control when you have the rev limiter!? :rolleyes:

that post kinda goes with that srt "changing the oil" post. where he takes of the filter and starts the car up to get all the oil out. :lol:

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Jag32 said:
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on this forum, it doesn't matter how you try and justify it, it's not safe to drop the clutch at redline and everything i've raed on the forum in the 3 years i've been here completely contradicts what you just said.

The STI is not a Camaro, just because you get good 60 foot times doesn't mean what you're doing is safe for the car. There is no way you can tell me dumping the clutch at 7k RPM is a safe way to launch, no way.
Then don't launch your car at all, ever, because it's never "safe" to drop the clutch at any RPM in this car. I would personally prefer to cause a bit of extra wear to the clutch, which can be swapped out in an afternoon, and smoke off my tires than have to pay for a replacement gearbox.

Go try launching your car at a low RPM and report back. You'll either hear an extremely loud "CLUNK" or you'll choke to death on the smell of burned clutch. Either way you'll be slow.

I consider it extremely rude of you to ask for advice and when you get it... berate the person because you don't agree. You're the one who asked for the advice. If you don't like it, don't use it. You'll also note that I didn't recommend launching at redline, you'll get a lot of wheelspin. I simply said that it's easier on the car than if you launch at 3500 RPM's.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Mykl said:
I consider it extremely rude of you to ask for advice and when you get it... berate the person because you don't agree.
I don't care if you consider it rude, suggesting someone drop the clutch at redline on an AWD car is absolutely downright stupid and among the worst advice ever posted on this forum. You're essentially telling people to go out and completely ruin their cars, and if you think all you're doing is adding a little extra wear on the clutch and some tire smoke, you're kidding yourself.

IMO a moderator should delete your post before someone who doesn't know any better reads your post and goes and tries it and destroys his car.

Mykl said:
Go try launching your car at a low RPM and report back. You'll either hear an extremely loud "CLUNK" or you'll choke to death on the smell of burned clutch. Either way you'll be slow.
Sounds to me like you don't know how to launch your car. You get clunks and clutch smell when you launch at low RPM's and you think it's perfectly okay to launch at redline. I launch my car all the time at low RPM's and it's very smooth, never any clunks, and never any clutch smell.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Hey Insane, this is *his* post, and he took it where it's gone.

Jag32 said:
I don't care if you consider it rude, suggesting someone drop the clutch at redline on an AWD car is absolutely downright stupid and among the worst advice ever posted on this forum. You're essentially telling people to go out and completely ruin their cars, and if you think all you're doing is adding a little extra wear on the clutch and some tire smoke, you're kidding yourself.
*edit* it doesn't matter. Have a nice day. Please spend more than two seconds to read a post before you start slinging insults.

·
Banned
1,277 Posts
wow wats goin on everyone .. chill , its okay let everyone launch the way they want , its there car and they paid for it .

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I tried to launch at 5k rpms, but I guess I was letting the clutch out too slow... I was able to smell the burnt clutch :( Oh well. Anyway, how fast should one let out the clutch? I obviously held it at the engagement point for too long, but I don't wanna end up with broken transmission because I let the clutch out too fast.

·
A.X.D.
5,115 Posts
Insane06STi said:
Aight guys thats enough, lets get back on topic.
this is good advise. :devil:

be civil in here guys. launching your car is not good for it and you stand a chance to do many things wrong to it, but it is your car and ultimately you will make the final decision on what it does.

if you don't agree with person "A" or person "B" - great, you are allowed to disagree and let them know why, but remember, there's nice ways to disagree.

in any case, i launched my car no higher than 4700 RPM at the track, and netted 1.6Xs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
correct your tire pressure, and launch between 4500-5500. You should be okay if you launch properly as in not dropping the clutch.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Mykl said:

I'm still fine tuning my launch, but I'm good for a consistent 1.8 60' time at the drag strip.

I find that 5500 RPM's makes for a good launch. But I'm trying to adjust my clutch work to see if I can't lower it a bit more so I don't get as much wheelspin.
To me it looks like he's saying launching it as 5500 is ideal. No where in that post does it advise anyone to dump it from redline. I took it as a hypothetical statement...."it would be safer just to do this than that..." type of thing.

I dont actually look down at the tach when I'm at the line...I kinda just go by sound, but if I had to guess I think I launch right around 5500. I can turn out consistant 1.7 60' times.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I launch between 5500 and 6500 rpm (depending on where my blimp hits)

I stage and then immediatly start blimping the throttle. I try and time myself right with the light so when the second to the last light hits, I am about to push the gas down.. The last time I just hold it and let out the clutch fast. I usually hang the clutch right before it starts to engage. I do not dump the clutch.

One last thing. I never smell clutch burn.

Doing this procedure lands me a run like this...

8.16 1/8th
1.67 60 ft
.77 reaction. .50 is perfect.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61991

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
dont drop hte clutch slip it

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
I launch at 5500...But if you scared to break anything don't launch it all. It doesn't matter where or how you launch it you are putting some sort of stress on the drivetrain and risk breakage or something some time down the road.

·
Registered
307 Posts
siusti said:
I launch between 5500 and 6500 rpm (depending on where my blimp hits)

I stage and then immediatly start blimping the throttle. I try and time myself right with the light so when the second to the last light hits, I am about to push the gas down.. The last time I just hold it and let out the clutch fast. I usually hang the clutch right before it starts to engage. I do not dump the clutch.

One last thing. I never smell clutch burn.

Doing this procedure lands me a run like this...

8.16 1/8th
1.67 60 ft
.77 reaction. .50 is perfect.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61991
I do the exact same as this guy at the track and it netted me a 1.654 60ft:D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts