IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am now at 1250 miles, and I have just started noticing some sounds. First my car clicks while idling, but I can only hear it with the window down. The other sound occurs between 2000 and 4000 RPM for the first second or to after anywhere from half to full throttle is applied(as the turbo spools). It is the same clicking, only more constant and it can be heard with the windows up. It always goes away within 800 RPMs and is not sensitive to any gears.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated,
Max

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I wouldn't think that at all. Pinging at idle??? I don't think so.

If it's just a clicking sound, it's just the valvetrain doing it's work....all Subarus do it.

Otherwise....kinda hard to guess what's going on with just a description. If it concerns you, having a dealer hear it is never a bad idea. I wouldn't jump to the detonation conclusion though....idle and the 2-4k range are not powerband areas with this problem.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yeah you are right Rob. Have the dealer look at it. Just be aware that the STI is pretty noisy at idle, Subarus are Noisy in general that is. especialy tuned the way the STI is. I have learned the sounds mine makes.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
my car does the same thing with the turbo clicking on throttle... I guess its just normal tick, because i wouldnt think it was pinging of any kind as it just sounds like the valves are moving faster. *shrug* so Im pretty sure you're alright, let us know what you find.

RObert~

·
Registered
167 Posts
I hear the same "clicking" under light throttle. If more throttle is applied and boost gets over 6-7psi, the clicking sound stops. I *believe* that this is from the wastegate puck. I had my dealer check it and they have no idea. The Service Manager was to check with SOA for any tech info on this and get back to me last week. I haven't heard back as of yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts