IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: HP pulled me over for STOCK STi EXHAUST!

When I picked up my STI a few weeks ago (only 7 miles on it) right outside the dealership, a yellow EVO pulled right next to me. The guy was laughing at me (that I don't know why) and he started to rev a bit. I didn't pay attention to him. After following me a few blocks, he went away. My car is not broken in and I don't like street racing because it is extremely dangerous. Innocent can be killed by reckless street racing.

My recent observation is that a lot of EVO drivers are quite young (but not me, I am at high 30s). I guess they like to race and show off a bit. So what would you do if you are challenged by an EVO?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'd look around, and if no other cars were around, I'd hammer it up to the speed limit (okay, maybe 5 mph over). Where I live, the speed limit in town is 35mph... so it wouldn't take very long :D .

I usually accelerate with my lead foot anyway, so this wouldn't differ too much from my normal driving routine.

·
Registered
376 Posts
yes street racing is so stupid because it's not fair for putting other people's lives at risk like that...

if it's open road late at night and an evo revved up, i'd rev my car too but i'd be highly TEMPTED to just open up my car, man im gonna be such a hypocryte :oops:

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
I'd tell my friend Jason, who owns the Evo, to meet me at the track that weekend to "settle things" . . . ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Compliment the Evo driver on a good choice. There's gotta be someone to finish second to the STi! Seriously though, I haven't stopped next to an Evo at a light yet. After my STi's well-broken in, I'd have a go with the Evo to the speed limit only. Until then, I'd stick to the slow roll-out. Insane speeds are best left for the dragstrip.

TerraJumper :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'd wave "Hi". and not put put over 4,000 rpm. A fast cluch release at 6,000 rpm is the fast way off the line. I ONLY race closed course.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Re: anyone going to the fallnationals on 10/4-5

I would have also done what you did since the car was so new. I might have rolled the window down and told him to meet you back there in another 993 miles. There was a couple times breaking my STi in I had to bite my lip or whatever and ignore the guy next to me at the light. Now with 8200 miles it's a different story. Actually when I literally just rolled over 1k miles I was at a red light along side some ricers all revving and stuff but since I was not sure what to expect I did not want to just hammer it off the line and loose it or something and look like an idiot so I turned. :)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I've gone up against a stock EVO at the track when my STi was stock. Not much of a contest. Mid 13's to mid 14's is not even close. Some of it was driver, but I had only been to the track once before.

Now, I fear no EVO. ;) but of course i will lose to them only if they are running mid 12's too :)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I'd pull up my dyno graph and his, and then hand him both..
then, I'd invite him over to see me install my stage 2 package when it comes out. Then I'd offer him to see me dyno the car again. Then I'd be happy to race him on a racetrack, With a minimum $1000 bet..
Then I'd wish him luck... and smile back @ him..

·
Registered
983 Posts
laughing at you? i bet he was trying to get u mad or intimidated. u did the right thing, i was challenged by a g35 while i was breaking in my car too. i just ignored him. he won't be so lucky next time i see him.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am jealous of you guys who already broke in their cars. I still have 700 miles to go. After that, I am gonna show them what the STI can do.

BTW, do you notice any gas mileage improvement before and after break-in?

·
Registered
97 Posts
my gas mileage is jumping all over the place so far.. 850miles
1st tank 250 miles
2nd tank 150 miles
3rd tank 180 miles
4th tank 220 miles with a lot of highway

So I am not sure where this trend is going ... :roll:

·
Registered
949 Posts
my gas is averaging just above 250 miles per tank.
i take it about 20-30 miles past the yellow light coming on.
i am hoping for a consistent 300 miles per tank but alas, nothing that good yet

G

·
All I can say is, if you ever do decide to race an Evo, don't worry about it, they can't keep up at all. Eventually it will be common knowledge even to the Evo owners, and they will probably not laugh at you as much, hehe.

i've raced 2, one at an abandoned airstrip and another in a parking lot and it wasn't close either time on any run.

Stock for stock, no Evo is going to hang with you, :)

I would never street race though, it isn't worth your license or jail time to prove what you already know to someone who doesn't matter. Jumping off at a light is the quickest way to get yourself into trouble you don't want.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i challenged an evo to a race...

however i was at a legal drag strip =)
(i never raced him cause i had to leave early...)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not to be a dork, but, I would ask him to pull over so I could check out his car. I have seen only 1 EVO at a dealership, never on the road. I live in an area where there is not much to see in the way of wanna-be racers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.