IW STi Forum banner

What was that all about?! (Another Cop Story)

3K views 40 replies 35 participants last post by  Fierysun 
#1 · (Edited)
Last night I just picked my my girl from her fathers house and was getting on the highway at about 10:30pm. It is one of my favorite ramps to get on as it is longer than most others and gives more time to get up to speed before merging. I put it to the floor and fly through 2nd, 3rd and just hit 4th when I am doing about 80mph on the speedo (about 76mph in reality). I put it into 5th and then 6th real quick and back off a bit down to about 74mph as I am merging.

Suddenly there is the HUGE flash of light coming over my left shoulder 2 lanes over. It is blinding and needless to say scares the crap out of me. In about 2 seconds the light is gone and a NYS trooper with no light bar on the top zips by me.

I am left with a "what the heck was that all about?" :notsure: feeling. I wasnt going faster than the flow of traffic (Posted limit of 65mph). Did he just flash his light at me hoping to scare me from going any faster? Was he looking for something? Did my car fit the ricer profile of someone he was after? I am still confused about this and wonder what his deal was. This was my first sort of "run in" with the police in this car....

Any thoughts?

#9 ·
Same thing happened to me, but by a marked sherrif as I merged. I think its just a friendly warning, but sure scared the crap out of me. Learned never to merge onto the freeway at 80mph at 1 am again.

#10 ·
+1 for a friendly warning. The only time I got the police lights shined at me was when I was leaving a buddies house at 2am to head home and suddenly my car got lit up like a church steeple and 2 cop cars had their spot lights on me. Wanted to know why I was there and what I was doing. Apparently they were looking for street racers or something. Whatever they were looking for, I wasn't it and I headed home. But they gave me quite a scare.

#15 ·
bluebullet said:
It was a friendly warning. NYS troopers are famous for that, which is pretty cool. Got the old high beam flash and strobe lights flash many times while driving on the Thruway.
i need to meet some of these troppers. 3 speeding tickets in the last 6 months - all from nys troopers - nough said.

#16 ·
#19 ·
it was a combination of:

- i know youre merging in excess of the speed limit
- i'm too busy to bother with you now
- this is to mark my territory for next time

#23 ·
klaymon said:
I would say it was a friendly warning or maybe he was running quiet to a call and just wanted to make sure you weren't going to get in his way.
I tend to agree although I dont find myself on the side of most police very often
:lol:

#24 ·
Peleg said:
Blinding people with high beams to warn them.........Wow...the police is getting "smarter and smarter".
I had a local cop literally blind me one night by blasting me with every light he had, all at once, from directly in front of me, FROM OFF THE ROAD; the road turned slightly left and he was sitting off the road in the dark -- with the front of his car pointing directly into the lane. I almost wrecked my car because I was in unfamiliar territory and could not see a blasted thing.

#26 ·
wdb said:
I had a local cop literally blind me one night by blasting me with every light he had, all at once, from directly in front of me, FROM OFF THE ROAD; the road turned slightly left and he was sitting off the road in the dark -- with the front of his car pointing directly into the lane. I almost wrecked my car because I was in unfamiliar territory and could not see a blasted thing.
should have got out and kicked his a$$ :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.