IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont want to drill into the floor. what have you guys used to keep the box still in the trunk. any pics would help also

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Not sure how this would work for a sub enclosure (which is what I assume you mean), but I have a plastic tub with some tools and other junk in it, so it's a little heavy, and I put a piece of rubber like shelf liner or contact liner under it and between the rubber sitting on the carpet on one side and being pushed on by the tub on the other, it simply doesn't move. I can fling the car around like no one's business, and when I get home, the tub hasn't moved at all. It's beautiful. :D

I can't take credit though, my wife is the smart one in our household. I will take a picture of what type of material I mean and post it. Give me a few minutes.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Here's what I use. The rubber mat basically just sits on the carpeted trunk floor and is not held to the carpet or the container in any way except the weight of the container. It (the container) literally does not move around at all, regardless of my driving.

The velcro idea is probably better unless you don't want velcro on the carpet in your trunk.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I used velcro. There is no velcro actually on my trunk carpet, it is just on the sub box and velcroes to the trunk carpet. I wanted to be able to remove my sub box if I needed the room for something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Im new to this but here goes, I used the existing holes in the beam/seat support, removed back seat and fabricated two brackets to run from sub box to the beam, No holes drilled holds the single 10" box fine

·
Registered
378 Posts
MKIVSupra said:
I used velcro. There is no velcro actually on my trunk carpet, it is just on the sub box and velcroes to the trunk carpet. I wanted to be able to remove my sub box if I needed the room for something.
Do you have the trunk carpet secured to the car sheet metal? I would think the sub would just slide and fold up the carpet if you didn't.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i had the same problem
velcro will not work because it just drags the carpet with the sub it the sub is big.
i also did not want to drill so that idea was gone.
right now i have used 3 of those strap tie-downs attached around the sub and bar on top.
this has worked well so far and i have driven it rather hard.
sometimes you will here it shift because of the slack in the straps but not too much.
only other thing i can think to do is to somehow fabricate brackets to attack it to my amp rack on the back of the seat.

·
Registered
378 Posts
side cowl bar soon to be released

kebs said:
i had the same problem
velcro will not work because it just drags the carpet with the sub it the sub is big.
i also did not want to drill so that idea was gone.
right now i have used 3 of those strap tie-downs attached around the sub and bar on top.
this has worked well so far and i have driven it rather hard.
sometimes you will here it shift because of the slack in the straps but not too much.
only other thing i can think to do is to somehow fabricate brackets to attack it to my amp rack on the back of the seat.
Did you try velcroing the trunk carpet to the body sheet metal?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I used 2 bungee cords, one over the top of the actual woofer on the face of the box, and 1 under the woofer on the face of the box. attached them to the back corncers of the trunk half way up the seat back. the bungees are red and they don't look half bad. The woofer will not move at all, and i've driven very hard since setting it up. I'll make it more "professional" looking one day, but i don't care, people don't ask me to pop my trunk, only my hood :wink:

·
Registered
378 Posts
I went to Home Depot and bought some inch thick foam. It's pink to match the badges. ;) I'm going to make a template of the trunk floor and make an inset for the sub. I know people have done this with wood, but I wanted to save some weight. The high density foam seemed sturdy enough. I'll cover it with some cabinet carpet to make it look nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts