IW STi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what performance benefits i would see going with the cobb stage 2 tbe and ap package. Im using all stock intake, turbo, ect. Also wondering if a typhoon would be ok to install with the ots map??

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
yeha ull be fine, there are alot of people using the typhoon, but cold air might be better, look into the APS CAI

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
If you haven't bought the typhoon yet, don't bother - Cobb recommends stock intake with their OTS map.

All you're going to get with the Typhoon is extra noise, and that feeling in the back of you mind about whether or not you're losing power due to heat soak.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
i had cobb stage 2 on my 04 wrx and it was like night and day.. now i have an 06 and the motor needs to be broken in...my buddies sti was a huge gain... almost kind of scary coming from a wrx..

·
Registered
489 Posts
Without a pro-tune, the typhoon will rob your low end power. I have run with that setup for the past 6 months until last Tuesday when I got protuned. I know it robs low end because I ran with a friend of mine without EM and 2nd gear pulls he would actually creep ahead of me, got my protune and the low end power is almost instant. Recommendation: If your going with the OTS Cobb map, stay with the stock airbox until you can get a tune done

·
Registered
303 Posts
There are gains no doubt. Its a good deal and about it is a safe upgrade. Call some one at COBB and get some more info from them. I am very happy with their kit.

VAN

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
rcharles said:
Without a pro-tune, the typhoon will rob your low end power. I have run with that setup for the past 6 months until last Tuesday when I got protuned. I know it robs low end because I ran with a friend of mine without EM and 2nd gear pulls he would actually creep ahead of me, got my protune and the low end power is almost instant. Recommendation: If your going with the OTS Cobb map, stay with the stock airbox until you can get a tune done

Good post. Have had the same results but with an APS CAI, and agree that the stock airbox for the OTS map is the way to go. With the protune though, the intakes will shine.

·
Registered
778 Posts
With a TBE and the Cobb Stg. 2 map, you will notice that the boost hits harder and lasts longer. You will also notice a huge difference in gears 4-6. The car will pull much harder up top. Then, when you yaern for more power than the Cobb map provides, you go get Protuned and the fun starts all over again. It's fun and worth the money.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Protune with Stage 1?

rv7 said:
With a TBE and the Cobb Stg. 2 map, you will notice that the boost hits harder and lasts longer. You will also notice a huge difference in gears 4-6. The car will pull much harder up top. Then, when you yaern for more power than the Cobb map provides, you go get Protuned and the fun starts all over again. It's fun and worth the money.
Can any profitable tuning results come from a protune to a stage 1 AP, SPT intake and WORX catback? Sorry, just don't want to do the DP (in the foreseeable future). With an AP protune, is the end result just another "map" stored on the AP that you can select? Is it base or realtime?

Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks alot for all the information ... i pretty much have my mind set up for Cobb stage 2 (just waiting for the funds) ... sounds like it will be fun!

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Jrags87 said:
Thanks alot for all the information ... i pretty much have my mind set up for Cobb stage 2 (just waiting for the funds) ... sounds like it will be fun!
It will. Enjoy!

·
Registered
778 Posts
white2006sti said:
Can any profitable tuning results come from a protune to a stage 1 AP, SPT intake and WORX catback? Sorry, just don't want to do the DP (in the foreseeable future). With an AP protune, is the end result just another "map" stored on the AP that you can select? Is it base or realtime?

Thanks!
I'm sure your tuner will be able to pull a little more power over the Cobb Stg 1 map, but it will most likely be negligible. The DP is what restricts the exhaust the most, which is why Stg 2 is a such a difference over Stg 1. Just out of curiousity, why don't you want a DP?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I'm at stage 1 right now....its great - especially 4th and 5th gear.

My cobb catted DP arrives tomorrow - boooya!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
stage 2 is liking taking your gf panties off for the first time .. After about doing it 15 times u are board of it and need a protune :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Dealer visits...

rv7 said:
I'm sure your tuner will be able to pull a little more power over the Cobb Stg 1 map, but it will most likely be negligible. The DP is what restricts the exhaust the most, which is why Stg 2 is a such a difference over Stg 1. Just out of curiousity, why don't you want a DP?
Got a mega-warranty on the motor and the dealer is very mod unfriendly. As it is, I marry/unmarry the COBB because the oil changes need to be done at the dealer to validate the 10 year/250,000 mile motor warranty. I would love to have the extra hp, but in the long run swapping DP's just ain't worth the trouble.

Maybe later on if I can buy enough beers for the service tech... :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts