IW STi Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok before anyone jumps down my throat. I know i've been a little hot headed and I do have a bit of an agressive driving side... But I really need some help. Well here is the story:
Well today I pulled out of the school parking lot. I make the right turn like I usually do. I was already going straight. then the next thing i know the car starts to slide to the right. I slam the clutch and the brake. The next thing I know after that is I'm in a tree. The car is COMPLETELY totaled at a speed of 20mph... I was still in first gear at approx. 4000rpm it was right when i was getting ready to shift. Can someone help me figure out what happend? I'm pretty sure the car is totalled... the whole front passanger side suspension is in the passanger side door... The police are saying I was wrecklessly driving and speeding. Which is not possible. I was about 30-40 feet out of the turn. I know I will have to get a lawyer to help me. I do not plan to drive anymore till i'm 18. I don't feel at fault. Could there have been a malfunction? What might have happend? The whole thing is really screwed. I wish I had pictures but to just describe I'm talking like the front passanger side is gone. The tree litterally tore the bumper and hood. Ate the air box. the winsheild is gone. the top of the car is dented. the whole side is gone. etc.

PLEASE no bitching etc. I really need some advice and help.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, Since i'm pretty sure its totaled... Any pieces anyone needs. I can try to salvage off of my car. I'm pretty sure i'm going to take out the seats and stuff. Whats remaining of the 3 rims... etc. any requests?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh and can someone PLEASE tell me what the EXACT speed you will be at in first gear at the following RPMS?

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you look at the speeds people have been posting on the track (their first 50 or 60 or 100 feet) I don't think you could have been going super fast.

According to the stats on www.car-videos.com (which are pretty accurate), 0 to 100 feet takes about 2.6 seconds at 41mph, so its pretty safe to assume that you were not going over the speed limit (you were also in first gear, right??). Here's the link to the USDM STi stats:

http://www.car-videos.com/performance/view.asp?id1=169&id2=0

Also, it has been reported by several people on different forums (not sure about threads on this forum) that if they hit a wierd patch of dirt or bumps or slippery surface with only one side of their car, it will pull toward that side almost in an instant.

I've felt this happen to me somewhat when I hit a patch of wet pavement with the left side of my car while accelerating to merge on the freeway (and no, I wasn't driving like a bat out of hell that day... unlike most days :D ). I thought I was going to hit the curb... my heart skipped a beat, that's for sure.

I hope that arms you with some info. Good luck. :(

·
Registered
343 Posts
Unless the road was icy, there are too many unknowns to make an objective assessment.

Some questions:
When you say the car was sliding to the right? Do you mean veering to the right? Was your steering wheel steady as the car was turning right? Sliding implies the entire car loosing traction regardless of wheel input.

Did you feel the brakes grab when you engaged them?

What setting was your DCCD?

You should've taken photos for insurance and/or for future litigation if in fact there may be a mechanical failure.

Cars can be replaced. Be thankful you are OK.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That sucks man. I wouldn't try to overanalyze it too much. The laws of physics allow the cops to tell how fast you were going with a pretty good accuracy. Your insurance rates will double or triple regardless of the outcome of the reckless driving since you are certainly at fault. Get a lawyer and fight the wd if you want. Ya might win.

You weren't the first and you won't be the last but I have to add the obligatory age/driving experience thing. A good lesson. Glad noone was hurt.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
confused!!! 2.0 or 2.5

Okay well the cop believe i was speeding at probably 40+mph and driving very recklessly. which I know I wasn't. I'm not really sure what happend. I'm pretty sure I was only at about 20 to 30 mph.

DCCD was on auto. I don't use the DCCD

When I hit the brakes I don't think I felt them grab... I guess I may have hit the accelerator by accident.. Even so I couldn't have been going that fast... I wasn't even close to redline.

After the turn I had already straightened out. then right when i started to accelerate the whole car felt like it was moving to the right. the parking lot is filled with rocks.. maybe some rocks got out onto the road and the car slipped on them?

Any other input?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am glad you are okay. But I have hard time believing that our mighty STI got totalled at 20 mph. Is the STI this fragile? What happened to the AWD during the accident? I thought the DCCD and AWD would save you from hitting the tree. I am confused. I guess I am getting old. But I am sorry to hear that your great car is gone. I am sure you can get another one in the future. Good luck.

·
Registered
212 Posts
LaZy4zNbOi said:
...I know i've been a little hot headed and I do have a bit of an agressive driving side...Well today I pulled out of the school parking lot...The police are saying I was wrecklessly driving and speeding...Which is not possible.
...I guess that explains it! :roll:

I am not gona bitch..this is comming from the heart...

Hot headed + agressive driving + still in school + cops charging you =

=YES IT IS POSSIBLE!!!!

Speeding or not, you were driving wrecklessly. I know what it take to break an STi loose. You should be man enough to accept the consequences of XXXXXX up. I bet you anything that you've pulled out of that lot a dozen times already showing off all your punk ass buddies how its done, but this time it "backfired"!

I know this is not what you want to hear, but XXX XXX!!! Thanks to you my...and everyone elses... insurace rates are gona keep going up! :mad:

EDIT/CENSORED BY MODERATOR: CHILL ON THE LANGUAGE! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Klui said:
...I thought the DCCD and AWD would save you from hitting the tree. I am confused...
...sorry, but if this is true you are as dumb as the retard who started the thread!

Please sell your car to help us keep the insurance rates down!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sti videos?

G-shock said:
Klui said:
...I thought the DCCD and AWD would save you from hitting the tree. I am confused...
...sorry, but if this is true you are as dumb as the retard who started the thread!

I always thought the DCCD and the AWD would keep me going STRAIGHT not towards the right.

I also thought that the BREMBO BRAKES would STOP ME instead of having me go into a tree.

I guess in my situation both proved to be wrong. :eek:

·
Registered
113 Posts
G-shock said:
Klui said:

I believe I help keep the insurance rates down cause I drive carefully and responsibly. What if I sell the car to the wrong hands?

The kid made a mistake and learned a lesson. I think this is fortunate since he didn't hurt himself and the innocent. Please don't attack people with your language. I guess we are all friends who have the same interest.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
man i'm not caring about insurance rates... does anyone have any more input about what might have happend? Also any way to get contact of people who have had the car slide when one tire hits anything slippery? I'm going to find a lawyer tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
almost anything...

1) get a lawyer..
2) your car came from the dealership wth re070s - those are almost SLICKS.... sticky racing tires, not made for all season drivcing or wet weather really...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
damn i knew i shoulda bought new tires after i got the car... but still today was not really went... it was slightly wet eariler today.. yes the lawyer will be the first thing thats going on my to do list.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.