IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is comming with the upgraded security and wheel locks. Are there any other upgrades i should consider having installed while the dealer has the car (radio, armrest....)
thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,773 Posts
radio - no, go aftermarket for the money

Armrest - I'm getting it in. Some people on NASIOC complained it got in the way of shifting, but I sure don't see that. Unless you have monkey arms, I would find the lack of armrest to be very uncomfortable.

I've inquired about the dealer installing a clear bra, but the company they use doesn't yet have a kit for the STi. If they can't do it, someone local will do it.

That's about all I'd have the dealer do. After you pick it up, find a nice system, maybe some tints...and go from there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

just buy everything from subaruparts.com afterwards and install it yourself.

now if you cant turn a screwdriver, then forget it... ;)

but right now, the boost gauge is a waste... period.

the alarm is kinda nice. but i'm gonna hack it anyways... or try to. this is one thing to get through the dealer since it's warrantied.

but arm rest ext is nice. but buy that afterwards.

those 3 things was forced onto me... hate the damn boost gauge the most...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,773 Posts
Yeah....an aftermarket alarm is the way to go. I'll be adding that soon enough.

How much more are items like the armrest and dimming mirror coming from the port vs suburuparts.com? Ah.....and do they offer you 5 year financing on it?

;) j/k
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Just do a search on eBay for the WRX radio.... at $160 you'll see why you don't want anything port installed! :)

For the same money as the dealer radio I got myself a nice Alpine MP3 player -- beats the stock Subie unit (I have one in my other car) by a mile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
RDiamond said:
-- beats the stock Subie unit (I have one in my other car) by a mile.
Yes... but what is its 0-60 times?! Huh? Answer me that smart guy! ;)

And I bet its 1/4 mile isn't that great either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
Yeah....an aftermarket alarm is the way to go. I'll be adding that soon enough.

How much more are items like the armrest and dimming mirror coming from the port vs suburuparts.com? Ah.....and do they offer you 5 year financing on it?

;) j/k
when i was checking last year for my wrx, the armrest was like $50-75 cheaper online vs dealer... 2 screws was all it took to install, IIRC.

so everything else was proprotionate to the prices...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
armrest extension and a intercooler screen from ebay, very useful to prevent bugs in getting in those non cleanable areas in the intercooler
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
my first STi eye to eye and dealer experience..

My car came with wheel locks (I had no choice of anything since I took another's spot). Do they really help? Don't thieves have a set of wheel lock key thingies?

And, yes, the Alpine unit beats the stock WRX radio in 0-60 dB by .06 seconds.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,802 Posts
cann said:
armrest extension and a intercooler screen from ebay, very useful to prevent bugs in getting in those non cleanable areas in the intercooler
You have a link to one of those IC screens, I would like to get one.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
My dealer provides an option that isn't available at the port. Fog lamp installation. Had it done for my silver/silver and it looks awesome. Kept the covers for posterity/resale. Great place...threw in some STi floormats their parts deparment ordered also.

Might want to check if your dealer does the fog lamps.
Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
YBnormal07 said:
My dealer provides an option that isn't available at the port. Fog lamp installation. Had it done for my silver/silver and it looks awesome. Kept the covers for posterity/resale. Great place...threw in some STi floormats their parts deparment ordered also.

Might want to check if your dealer does the fog lamps.
Scott
Did you have a choice of color of the fogs (like yellow, regular, or blue?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
chawklit said:
YBnormal07 said:
My dealer provides an option that isn't available at the port. Fog lamp installation. Had it done for my silver/silver and it looks awesome. Kept the covers for posterity/resale. Great place...threw in some STi floormats their parts deparment ordered also.

Might want to check if your dealer does the fog lamps.
Scott
Did you have a choice of color of the fogs (like yellow, regular, or blue?)
Didn't know there was a choice. I believe mine are regular, although when compared to headlight HIDs, they are a bit yellowish.
Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
choonzAWR said:
whast wrong with having the dealer install it ? as opposed to having port install


That wasn't what I was asking...My specific question is " Is the turbo gauge worth it to install yourself?" Do you guys feel likes its useful?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
first, the turbo gauga from SOA read in micro pascal. yes, micro pascal. normal boost gauges are in PSI.

i forget what the exchange rate is from PSI to micro pascal.

2. the thing is lit in green. meanwhile, the entire gauge is RED!!!!

3. it blocks the outside temp gauge. GRRRRRRRR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
choonzAWR said:
whast wrong with having the dealer install it ? as opposed to having port install
Because they will charge you labor to install the items. Having them installed at port is no extra charge above the option price.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top