IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased an 08 STI wagon and I am looking to add mods after this upcoming winter season. I definitely want to get a turbo back exhaust that will bring the rumble out of the Boxer engine, but I'm also debating on getting a Cobb access port first. any recommendations?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Full service, every oil and fluid, and a wheel alignment and balance.

Check pads, hoses, bushings, suspension, yada yada yada.

I would also clean the intake tract and clean/flush the cooling system.

Then stick it a dyno and see how it's fueling and get a baseline on current power levels, this can be tricky though, dependant on the type of dyno and how it is set up.

Some dyno's will read high, some are good, just try to use the same dyno/tuner for your baseline as you do for your tuning.

Basically ensure you start from a good footing.

Then, whatever you can afford to suit what purpose the car will be used for.

I would start with whatever needs initial attention then, with a known base line maybe basic handling first, then power with a focus on reliability.

Adjustable sway bars are a good start for dialling in your handling characteristics.

There is a plethora of info in here.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Full service, every oil and fluid, and a wheel alignment and balance.

Check pads, hoses, bushings, suspension, yada yada yada.

I would also clean the intake tract and clean/flush the cooling system.

Then stick it a dyno and see how it's fueling and get a baseline on current power levels, this can be tricky though, dependant on the type of dyno and how it is set up.

Some dyno's will read high, some are good, just try to use the same dyno/tuner for your baseline as you do for your tuning.

Basically ensure you start from a good footing.

Then, whatever you can afford to suit what purpose the car will be used for.

I would start with whatever needs initial attention then, with a known base line maybe basic handling first, then power with a focus on reliability.

Adjustable sway bars are a good start for dialling in your handling characteristics.

There is a plethora of info in here.
this then look at an accessport. Vacuum leak test is always nice but goes with above members suggestions. Modding can snowball out of control. Always buy the most best most trusted parts and pay for a well trusted Pro Tuner, dont buy crap parts/hire Tuner thats cheap if you cant afford good stuff; just save up . Buy all parts have them installed then get tuned once cuts down on the hassle and cost of multiple installs and tunes. Also you may need a new clutch after modding as an older clutch is able to handle current levels but will slip when introduced to copious amounts of new found torque.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
First please research on how to properly mod the car. Changing the down pipe will require a tune. So you should be getting an accessport along with the down pipe.

Before you do any mods of any kind on the car, you should make sure your maintenance is up to date. Have the car checked over and make sure its ready for upgrades.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts