IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have 09 and when i driving 80 is at about 3250 rpm this looks very high to me especially for a 6 speed tranny and yes i am going that speed in 6th gear with that rpm. is this normal or will it change in time. just seems kinda high and it might explain my gas mileage being 19 on highway all they time, since all my driving is highway

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok well i guess since its normal then i guess i have to slow down. hahahahah

ya right. i will try the dccd thing to see if that helps once i figure out how to work it

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
thats what my gd is at too. at speeds of 80mph i think our cars act more like a big rolling brick. they seem to have alot of wind resistance compared to some other cars. probably the ginormous scoop. if you think that rpm at 80 is bad, you should be in my honda at that speed haha. prelude with h22 swap...at 80 im right around 4200 rpms haha

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok i guess i wil have to slow down but then it will tak longer. but man i gonna have to i filled up 4 days ago at 42 bucks and now i on empty i will try 68mph see how that works thanks guys oh and i passes 1000 miles yesterday and oh ya that thang really grips, it off the fa sha hezza

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
I agree that for a six-speed that does seem pretty high RPM's. But mine is that same.

I used to have a car that at 70 mph the RPM's were like 1750. Great mileage for highway!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
As gianspi said - gear ratios don't change over time.

The RPM you're seeing is a function of your speed (80 MPH), your sixth gear's ratio (0.756), your differential's ratio (3.91) and your tires' circumference. Those items are essentially fixed, so you're going to see roughly 3,200 to 3,300 RPM at 80 MPH.

Gary

·
Registered
45 Posts
I will add that your car will be @ the top highway MPG when it's going 55 mph. It will not be much different at 65 mph but at 80 mph you are probably around 30% less efficient (aka. wasting gas).

Sorry to say, but you bought the wrong car for watching MPG.
I would never be able to afford mine if I wasn't 5 miles from where I work.

·
Registered
342 Posts
ok i guess i wil have to slow down but then it will tak longer. but man i gonna have to i filled up 4 days ago at 42 bucks and now i on empty i will try 68mph see how that works thanks guys oh and i passes 1000 miles yesterday and oh ya that thang really grips, it off the fa sha hezza
Imo, it sounds like your dogging your car way too hard for only having a 1000 miles and being concerned it will take you longer to get places going 65.. Slow down man, you keep driving like that on the highway and your gonna regret it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ya i gonna try to slow down. the whole break in time i was on that inteligent mode. and never got over 20 avg mpg. and now i have been driving on regular sport and been driving agressive and it went to 21 all of a sudden. what the heck is sport the best all around thing for just everyday driving?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.