IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 894 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has most likly been talked about to death in the GD and GR sections but not yet in this one.

What oil do you plan on running in your 2015+ Sti? I assume the engine still takes 5w30.

Few options I have been looking at is the always available Mobil 1. Though it isnt as good as it once was its plentaful.

I like AMS oil but it is pricy and their web site has some disclaimer about bulletin #02-103-07

There is 0W-30 German made castrol... been readin up on this but I have some more looking to do on how it will work with a subaru.

I know people use Rotella T6 5w40, I dont know much about that yet.

Just want to see if people have any info on these for our engine and also want to see what others are going to use.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Since it's the same engine that was used in the GD and GR I would say the same oils that have been proven to work will still be the go to oils.

Keep in mind Subaru uses a 5-30 oil for fuel economy purposes. It's not necessarily the best viscosity to use.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
I know this has most likly been talked about to death in the GD and GR sections but not yet in this one.

What oil do you plan on running in your 2015+ Sti? I assume the engine still takes 5w30.

Few options I have been looking at is the always available Mobil 1. Though it isnt as good as it once was its plentaful.

I like AMS oil but it is pricy and their web site has some disclaimer about bulletin #02-103-07

There is 0W-30 German made castrol... been readin up on this but I have some more looking to do on how it will work with a subaru.

I know people use Rotella T6 5w40, I dont know much about that yet.

Just want to see if people have any info on these for our engine and also want to see what others are going to use.

Thanks!
Mobile 1 does not fair well in our engines. Turbo heat breaks it down quicker.

I run Amsoil 10w-30

·
Registered
157 Posts
Does anyone know where the filter is on these cars? I just went outside to look under my hood and I couldn't find it. The manual is also not much help. Here is the p/n for the filter btw: 15208AA100

·
Registered
674 Posts
It's on the bottom of the engine. The plastic cover needs to be removed to get to the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Had no oil burning and good tests with Castrol Syntec 5-30 in my old bugeye and the Tacoma.

I'll either use that or another viscosity of Syntec/Edge, or try out Rotella.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Does anyone know about how much of a MPG difference there will be from a 5-30 to Rotella T6?

So after the break in period would be a good time to get my first oil change and change over to t6?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Its pretty well known that the EJ Motor LOVES Rotella T6. Plus its a major bonus that its cheap and very easy to find!

Also FYI - dont forget to get a single quart of whatever you use and put it in your car (Mines where my spare is) JUST IN CASE you ever need! EMERGENCY COURT FTW!

Also - For the love of all things good about engines... check your oil consistently!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I heard from a lot of the memebrs who uses the t6 that has never burned a single drop of oil. But better safe than sorry I guess xD
ever since i learned about the importance of oil to these motors (not saying its not important to others) i have been overly OCD about mine. i fill it exactly to fill the hole right by the 'F' mark. i check it at every gas fill up and it has been spot on and i use T6 and GS AOS

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I keep mine in the car not so much for my worry of burning oil but if anything ever leaks that you dont notice - If I ever see my oil pressure look funky - then I have it just incase thats the culprit.

A built motor is easily worth the $6 for a quart of oil and the space in the spare tire well - peace of mind is everything

·
Registered
49 Posts
Every time I have tried to move away from Rotella oils I have paid the price. I built a TBI 383 Chevy Engine a couple years back with a flat tappet cam and after about 6000 miles I switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic and 400 miles later had flattened two cam lobes. I like Rotella because it has good Zinc content and has been proven to work on Diesel engines and most Diesel engines have turbos!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Rotella T6 on my 2013. First change after break-in oil I had to re-fill about 0.5QT. Second change, not a drop of oil missing yet (about 2500mi on oil) and that's including a track day with several harsh runs. Not a drop! :)

1 - 20 of 894 Posts