IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a full MadDad TBE -- v2 one piece catted downpipe and whisper cat-back. The muffler is defunct ... as in, something inside of it is now loose and rattling around. I've given some thought to replacing it anyway, because it's just about too quiet for me. I'd like a bit more of that burble (think B&B, only not so loud), without replacing any more of my system than just the muffler.

One thought is just grabbing a Magnaflow muffler at the local muffler shop and having it welded in. :confused:

Opinions, please!

·
Registered
876 Posts
I only have loads of domestic experience to offer, but you know that... and I'm honestly not sure how these work on Imports compared to Domestics.

On the domestics, my favorite mufflers for volume vs. restriction were Hooker Maxflow... here's the old dyno shootout and volume shootout to compare.

(sorta) fortunately, the Borla XR1 is on the scale, and thats what I currently have... BUT, I'm sure they are chamber based mufflers in no way similar to whats available for our cars... (*shrug*)

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
invidia g200

·
Registered
876 Posts
NO GUTS, NO GLORY!

If it works well for you, I'll do it!

Nevermind muffler tips... just have a nice muffler *exit*.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am leaning towards one of the glasspack variations, yes. Hell, I've given some thought (though not all that seriously yet) to tracking down a stinger. My '03 Cobra sounded wicked with stingers. But it's a much different engine, and what works for a nice rumbly V8 may sound like ass on a four banger.

I think what I will find out is "how much of the volume is changed by the muffler, and how much by the catalytic converter?"

:lol:

Dave

·
Registered
876 Posts
I love the look of the XR-1, so I'll hang with it... but Im trying to figure out the best way to put a little muffler on the EWG dump instead of the current setup where its plumbed back in.
That will give it a Jeckyl/Hyde thing quite nicely :)

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
Rootus said:
Heh... already had one ;). Tip is too big for me. :(
really i <3 my 5' tip:naughty:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Rootus said:
Right now I have a full MadDad TBE -- v2 one piece catted downpipe and whisper cat-back. The muffler is defunct ... as in, something inside of it is now loose and rattling around. I've given some thought to replacing it anyway, because it's just about too quiet for me. I'd like a bit more of that burble (think B&B, only not so loud), without replacing any more of my system than just the muffler.

One thought is just grabbing a Magnaflow muffler at the local muffler shop and having it welded in. :confused:

Opinions, please!
You've maybe emailed or called me arleady(haven't been to my email or vm in the last two days), but if not give me a buzz or drop me an email with your order # so we can make arrangements to fix what ever the deal is with your Whisper axleback section. If you want to flip/sell it you'll need it in working order. We haven't had any warranty claims to date so I'm curious to find out what the issue is and take care of it if the issue is with the exhaust.

Rich

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
daddysscp said:
You've maybe emailed or called me arleady(haven't been to my email or vm in the last two days), but if not give me a buzz or drop me an email with your order # so we can make arrangements to fix what ever the deal is with your Whisper axleback section. If you want to flip/sell it you'll need it in working order. We haven't had any warranty claims to date so I'm curious to find out what the issue is and take care of it if the issue is with the exhaust.

Rich
I did PM you just a bit ago with more detail. As always, I am impressed by the support you provide your customers.

Dave

·
Registered
821 Posts
polyol said:
Magnaflow...love mine...
+1
Best looking muffler for under $120
Full stainless
Tip is nice and is beveled on the inside (not a melon shooter)
Lifetime Warranty

·
Registered
597 Posts
Honestly my stromung sounds extremely burbly and isnt TOO loud. Its on a catless setup.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts