IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's a mistake to not announce MSRP

I notice that a lot of people here OWN really cool cars (sometimes makes me jealous).

But what kinds have you DRIVEN, and what did you think? I have had the opportunity to drive a few pretty cool cars (driving school & friends mostly) and have felt very lucky.

BTW I own a red '95 del Sol Si - very stock, but still very fun... 127 hp out of a 1.6L 4cyl SOHC engine!! Dependable as all getout...

The wife has a 2001.5 VW Passat V6 - good highway cruiser...

I have DRIVEN:

1999 Dodge Viper - liked it, impressive car. But when you have to break the back end loose to turn it, you wonder... What kind of daily driver would this be?

2000 Honda S2000 - an absolute joy to drive, top up or down. 9500 RPM redline makes it sound like you're inflicting tremendous pain on the engine (but you're not). Downshift and it sounds like an F1 car...

2002 Audi A6 2.7L V6 bi-turbo - this vehicle is frightening to drive. The only turbocharged vehicle I have ever driven, and it kicks in at something insane like 2500 rev's. I guess you can't complain about lack of power in this car - more luxurious than our VW, but only slightly... (What the hell is VW doing with VW vs. Audi, anyhow?)

1991 Honda CRX mod'd intake/exhaust + ROM chip - fun, fun, fun!! However, had to get used to smoked glass in the rear-view - almost crashed during a lane change :oops: ...Also, my friend urging me not to shift until 6500 RPM resulted in me doing like 90 in 3rd on a relatively crowded highway (no I wasn't speeding officer...). Didnt get pulled over, thankfully.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My current ride is nice. I really like it. 2002.5 Mazda protege5. Very versitle and sporty. Handles great. Problem is it needs a damn turbo! I hate having only around 100 whp.

I have driven a 1986 911 and a 1978 911. Not turbos. Unreal! I have never felt that power and torque from any other vehicle. The way the power builds is just unlike anything else I have ever experienced. It felt so awesome to drive. I am hoping that the STi will give me that also. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Allocations

Here are a few:

In 1990 had a Ford Sierra (Merkur) 4x4 3.0 V6 with Sprintex Supercharger 275hp used to really move.
1992 had a 260hp Prodrive tweaked Legacy Twin Cam. nice car. 0-60 about 5.5
1994 Lancia Delta Integrale Evolution - Best car I ever owned. Unreliable but what a piece of History.
Then I grew up...

·
Registered
541 Posts
S2000s on a couple of occasions (rentals); hell of a fun car to drive. The rear end is happy to break loose with no noise whatsoever if you use too much throttle in a corner.

My friend's Civic Si (the last year before the new hatchback) and Sentra SE-R Spec V were pretty fun, too. And then a WRX sedan (thanks, SnowbordrWRX!)

But of course my favorite is my truck: a '98 5-speed Tacoma TRD 4x4, 3.4L V6, supercharged, with TRD headers & cat-back. Yes, it's a big-ass truck (well, technically a compact truck), but this thing really hauls. The midrange torque is unreal. Pushing 300 hp, well over that in lb-ft.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
You're welcome, Agent Chobos! Didn't know that was your first WRX drive...but hey not bad for a watered down STi eh? haha

Thanks for the match rpms tip, that helped a bit...I've gotten a little sloppy and maybe too eager with my shifting as of late :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Drove a 1982 BMW 630 csi(I think thats what it was called) It came from Germany, was modded, dynoed at 227RWHP, was my bro's, so I got to drive the hell out of it, and let me say it was awsome!!! Ran like it was brand new, and it handled like a dream!!!
Also drove a heavily modded 1992 mitsu eclipse, and believe me that baby was fast, not sure about HP but guessing about 300-320 range.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Let's see. Fast car I own or have owned:

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
240 HP / ? Torque (modded)
What is there to say?

1980 Alpina B7 Turbo Coupe (Own it)
310 HP/ 240 lb-ft
Only car I know that feels better at 140 MPH than 60

1978 Volvo 262C V-8 Bertone Coupe (Own it)
'93 Mustang 5.0 making ~260 HP / 330 lb-ft
Muscle and class in one package

1989 Ford Taurus SHO (Owned it)
220 HP / 270 lb-ft
One of the best engines ever built

Cars I've driven:

1984 BMW M5 Euro Spec
286 HP / ? lb-ft.
Sweet ride and total sleeper. No badging.

2002 BMW M3
333 HP
Fun, but color not for me (lime green)

2002 BMW M5
400 HP?
If I lived in a dry climate and was rich, this would be the car to have

1978 BMW M1
270 HP
A classic and a breeze to drive. Wonderful car.

1965 Shelby GT-350
Gotta love the sound of a nasty 289

1971 Trans Am Cuda
350 HP
Love the sound of a 340 with a six pack.

1966 Ferrari GTO
It's a '66 GTO. Just sitting in it is magical.

1988 Ferrari 288 GTO
310 HP?
Probably one of my dream cars. The twin turbo V8 is INSANE at speed.

1978 Porsche 930 Turbo.
Very nasty lag, 4 speed is a little clunky, but get on the revs and hang on.

1985 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Dynod at 840 HP
This is definately the fastest accelerating street legar car I have ever been in. My neck hurt after driving it.

1971 DeTomaso Pantera
Twin turbo with nitrous. No idea of HP.
I had the oportunity to run this car at Limerock Park a few years ago. Unfortunately, the straight isn't long enough to open it up and still make the hairpin at the end. But at 140 it pulls like a WRX off the line.

I think I'm missing a few, but those are the most memorable.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Cars I've owned -

1994 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo - 450hp

1994 Saleen S351

Cars I've driven -

1995 Ferrari F355 Spyder

1995 Ferrari 465GT

1995 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo

1997 Dodge Viper GTS

I know there are more but that is all I can remember for now.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm glad you guys aren't now making me jealous of the cars you've driven as well... :eek:

Those are some pretty impressive vehicles (esp. 2003STI and jb)...

I'm going to have to go to that classic car rental place and rent me a Lambo and an E-Type... :D

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
The only ones worth mentioning are the 2 modified 94 Supra TTs I owned and a 1995 Lotus a friend had. I was able to run with some Lambos, Ferraris, Porsches, etc. at a track event and was damn happy I was able to hang with and pass a lot of them in my Supra. I might not have driven an actual Ferrari or Lambo, but I at least know what the performance is like. I have contemplated a trip to Europe just to drive cars. I hear it's real cheap over there to rent cars like that compared to here.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I hear it's real cheap over there to rent cars like that compared to here.
From SIXT (a rental company in Europe) to rent a Ferrari 360 costs roughly $900+ per day! I wish it was cheap!!! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Interior pics

That is still cheap compared to Vegas and that's if you can find a car like that. I think something like a 360 would be close to $2k in Vegas. The best thing I could find was a 355 but the rate was for 24 hours and I did not want to have to deal with it for 24hrs. I was hoping there was a place I could just rent one for like 5hrs. Someone once posted on another forum about paying something like $600 to attend a driving school in Europe where you could choose 5 cars from a nice selection to test out on a track. Of course when I asked him for more info he never replied.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Hmm..still nearlu $1k!! :eek: Now, $600 for a selection and track use..that might not be bad..but I dunno, I'm a tight wad! ;)

In Colorado there was a guy who started a company like this and rented out his Viper GTS for $500 for the day. Not bad, or you could choose several hours for $200..something like that. I almost gave in, but then saw visions of me crashing this sucker and paying for it..yikes!!!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have one to add to my list - brand new 2003 Mini Cooper S in British Racing Green and a black roof. Man, what a blast to drive!!

My wife's uncle let me be the second driver ever of the Mini he just got last week (he was the first & only). I only drove it around the 'hood, and it's still being broken in, so I didn't get too crazy... kept it under 4K and such.

But you can tell that it's got a lot left, even at 40 mph in 3rd... great handling, lot of BMW-ness, with a beautiful ride.

Man I am jealous now... but maybe I'll get to drive it again soon...

·
Registered
410 Posts
STi is in a different league

I have driven an insane amount of cars in my life. I have mentioned quite a few in previous posts. If I had to list my most memorable:

2000 R-34 Skyline GTR
modded with dyno tested 452 whp
It was disgusting fast and handled like heaven.

Mitsu Evo 6.5 Tommi mak edition(not sure what year)
Had an exhaust/down pipe and not much else so around 320 hp probably
Absolutely orgasmic car. The baddest (almost)stock car i have ever driven. I only got to flog it for about 1/2 hour cause it wasn't mine obviously. I drove it on a trip to Japan last year. A friend of my friend Aritomo owned it. Amazing car!! Very harsh for a daily driver though.

2001 Toyota Altezza
Turbocharged street drivable race car basically. Had about 430 ps and about 52.5 kgm of torque. Weighed only a touch over 1000 kilos. Full Tein race suspension, sequential 6 speed shifter, etc. That car was a friggin monster. I drove that on my trip to Japan too. My friend Takahashi owns it. He daily drives that thing so he is completely loco!!

My FD3S Mazda RX-7 is pretty ballz. 482 whp engine and about 23K in suspension, transmission, weight reduction, cosmetics, etc. Runs an 11.5 in 1/4 mile on street radials and weighs only 2500 lbs. And eats just about any track for breakfast.

2002 BMW M5
Nothing special done to it. It is just the best all around sedan on the planet. I love this car so much. Only thing i would like is more rear traction when accelerating from a stop or low speeds. Tires break loose like James Brown!

Those are my most memorable but i have driven alot more. Viper, esprit, elise, supras of varying mods, nsx, Z06, 1 diablo(hated that car), S2000(i own one), S4, E36 M3, E46 M3, Evo 5, 6, 7, USDM 8, and many more.

MY dream cars that i wanna drive but haven't:

Ferrari F50, Ferrari F360 challenge, Subaru Impreza 22B(sorta hard since only 400 exist), 2001 JDM RX-7 Type RZ(only 175 exist), and my ultimate dream car the Shelby Cobra GT 500(oh daddy!!!!) Go figure a domestic hater like me wants that over just about any car. Peace!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
STi hits the streets of BOSTON!!!

Winston Cup stock car, driven on the oval at Richmond. To everyone who thinks driving a NASCAR is easy, IT IS! The hardest thing I did was to keep it from stalling pulling out of the pits. The car is every bit the crude machine you expect it to be, but it's a very stable platform for turning in circles all day long.

I also "drove" (many, many times) the Top Fuel ride at Speedzone in LA and Dallas. 0-70 in 2.9 seconds! Oh, ok, it's on rails. But it's still cool.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
RDiamond said:
...I also "drove" (many, many times) the Top Fuel ride at Speedzone in LA and Dallas. 0-70 in 2.9 seconds! Oh, ok, it's on rails. But it's still cool.
:lol: dude that's hilarious

1 - 20 of 64 Posts