IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was wanting to get a new coilover set-up for my Sti. Not too knowledgeable on the suspension brands so I would appreciate any input that anyone could give me on what to go with. I want to lower the car just enought so there isn't such a gap in the wheel wells, especially in the back. I wouldn't care if the ride is just a little more stiff, I like to feel secure and take quick corners. Please help me out. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I have been told to get the Tein Flex or SS, i'm not sure what is best. But that noise that people talk about in the back doesn't sound too appealing. Even if it isn't a bad thing, i think it might get annoying and muffle out my wonderful bov and turbo sounds. :lol: Thanks for the input though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Concerns of theft?

Get FLEX or higher. the noise can be fixed. tighten the Top mounts after breaking the suspension in. it will go away. Anything under the TEIN FLEX kit will rust. the FLEX and up are either teflon coated to prevent rust, or aluminum.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Syck_Driven_STi said:
Get FLEX or higher. the noise can be fixed. tighten the Top mounts after breaking the suspension in. it will go away. Anything under the TEIN FLEX kit will rust. the FLEX and up are either teflon coated to prevent rust, or aluminum.
that was the last straw... sold :lol:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
More 'What is that noise' questions before talking to dealer

Syck_Driven_STi said:
TEIN Flex units are very high-quality coilovers for street/light competition environmnets and the overall setup is very well balanced.

Rust is not an issue with them, they have very significant test procedures for that like any other major manufacturer. It is my opinion that it needs to be installed by a professional to ensure longevity and proper fitting to minimize any clunking; although it can be done at home as well. As mentioned before, the Flex units are more on the comfort side than performance, but they still perform better body control and provide better responsiveness than stock units due to higher spring rates and matched more aggressive shock valving.

JIC's are also very good, and from my perspective, they are half a notch better than TEIN, or at least I had better experience with them.

Overall, you cannot go wrong with any of these brands, especially for street/auto-x/HPDE combination.

One small catch: if you auto-x, and want to stay in street prepared (possibly in ESP if SCCA lets us), than you cannot use the EDFC unit. If you do, you will automatically be upgraded to Street Modified class :)

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey, thank you guys for all the info. I'll look into the JIC's but if not them, then the Tein's.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
doublej said:
^^^i may call soon, if u are having a sale on my jics soon!
Approximately, within a week or so, we will have the sale; more discount than our normal. I am waiting to see if any major changes we should be aware of following SEMA. For that reason, we have not even added the products to our web site yet.

I'll mention it in these forums, once we have it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts