IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I wanted to get a little heads up on what kinds of pipes, mufflers, down pipes people in this forum have installed. I have been looking between a bunch of different brands and would like to get a little bit of feedback from peoples real life experiences.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
turbo XS's TBE seems to be popular, but the fact that it melts your bumper is a major turn off for me (or if not melt, then discolor as well). Im looking to get the 3" APS tbe, lol whenever I have that kind of money. Good sound and power.

Robert~

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Orphaned too...

okie thats good to know, who is APS? is that an abreviation or an actual brand?

Do you know of any mufflers for the STi that kinda have the same look to the exhaust tip as stock? (a double walled exhaust tip)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Full Invidia system here. The overall fit is pretty good. I had to hack off the upper mount on the Invidia DP that I wasn't happy doing, but it works. I guess there was a batch of DP's with misaligned upper mounts and I was lucky enough to get one. I hear not all are like that.

As for sound, its a tad bit on the loud side, but not obnoxiously loud. Around town driving isn't too bad when kept under 4K, but after that, it will be loud. I'm quite satisfied with the quality and performance. For pics, visit my web page link.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just installed a godspeed downpipe on my STi yesterday. Boost response is MUCH quicker, the car feels faster, and is definitely even more fun to drive. There's also a nicer deeper growl when revving the engine, but not dramatically louder. Keep in mind I still have the stock cat-back exhaust. Definitely recommend this upgrade.

orthojoe

·
Registered
17 Posts
I installed a catless MRT (Middleton Rally Team) 3" mandrel bent turbo back. It has on resonator in the mid pipe and I stuck with the twin tip design to be stealthy. Very deep growl.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Just had the Turbo XS turbo-back exhuast system with RFL muffler installed. Hopefully it won't melt my bumber. Just as a precaution, I had the installer put in 3/4" worth of spacers in the muffler braket on the left side. Also they put a strip of that heat deflector tape, not sure if that the right name for it, on the bumper above the exhaust pipe. Next weekend I'll try to bend the peice of metal down, the one the rubber hanger attaches on the right side of the exhaust, so it come down a little bit more. While I'm down there, I'll see if I could be a little creative and figure out some way to pull the exhaust an inch pass the bumper.

After the install, I went for a road trip for 4 hours, there was no dicoloration nor melting but the bumper above exhaust was pretty hot.

As for performance, I seem to have lost some low end torque, but not so much to where I need to be concerned. The big difference is at the higher RPMs, there is a definitely more power there. You thought the car pressed you against the seats now, wait until you upgrade the exhaust.

Now for the sound, it's really loud, I set off a couple car alarms this weekend. Sound mean and agreesive, not for the light hearted. So don't get this exhaust if you don't want to piss off your neighbors.

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts

I have slight discoloration and a little melt. I am swapping the RFL-Ti for the "regular" TurboXS muffler. I talked to the owner of TurboXS today and he said that they are going to adjust the future RFL exhausts {pipe angle and hangers}. He also said that I was the third person to return the RFL. It does not sound like a huge problem to me. I have to give TurboXS a thumbs up for customer service on this issue.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Cusco Front Lower Arm Bar and V-Brace

I have my Godspeed downpipe and stock exhaust right now. I am thinking of getting the new Fujitsubo variable exhaust which allows you to run quiet or loud depending on the controller which can be mounted inside or by throttle position. It automatically opens at WOT. Very cool stuff. If not maybe I'll just weld a piece of pipe to exit the exhaust from the rear.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts