IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in need of your help yet again. I have been trying to diagnose to find anything under the car that's maybe rubbing or making contact to anything. This squeak started happening after my track day back in February. It hasn't been noticeable but it's gotten worse since I upgraded the engine pitch stop and transmission mount, as of late.

This squeak issue only occurs during:

- light load when moving from a stop
- when making left turns
- when going over bumps (but not 100% of the time)
- when accelerating from low speed on higher gear
- when starting the car

As I get up in speed, this squeaking noise goes away.

Below are the steps I have done. But keep in mind, this squeak started occurring before the rear sway bar and coilovers were installed.

What I have done to check, so far:

- I thought it was a suspension issue, but I wasn't so sure anymore since the installation of my coilovers.
- I checked the tie rods to see if there's any play. I found them tight and secured.
- Re-tightened the exhaust.
- And finally, mounted a camera to see if I can find anything. I mounted an external mic on the area where I felt it was coming from. But as you can hear, it isn't exactly the location the squeak is coming from. It sounded like it's somewhere else.

Before I go to the dealership, please help with any suggestion, or probe by asking questions that may spark the "bulb" in finding what it could be. I dislike going to the dealer especially when my suspension is modified. I really don't have any clue.

It is so damn ANNOYING!! :mad:

It takes away from the enjoyment of driving my STI. :(

Here's a clip of where the noise occurs during driving (you may need headphones to clearly hear it).

·
Registered
9,271 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
I have APS trailing arms and they squeal if they joints aren't lubricated. I put WD40 on the joints to test and see if the squeal goes away and it did. I put a small amount of grease on them after that and they have never squealed again.

·
Registered
379 Posts
check if your front bumper brackets are loose on the sides
You're the second person who mentioned this to me. I didn't think this would cause any metal-like squeal since most of what's behind the bumper is plastic.

Will I have to remove the bumper to check for the brackets? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
379 Posts
check the endlink to sway bar connection. if that's not completely tight, it will 100% cause a squeek
This squeak has been happening prior to me upgrading the endlinks and sway bar. I would imagine the squeak would happen at every bumps and movement of the sway bar.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have APS trailing arms and they squeal if they joints aren't lubricated. I put WD40 on the joints to test and see if the squeal goes away and it did. I put a small amount of grease on them after that and they have never squealed again.
I may give this a try. Thanks.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Made a video of mine... to ME... you can see the motor moving and hear it slamming down again... Am I crazy thinking this is directly related to motor mounts?

Recently had Growler Motorsports put in Group N motor mounts and it came back making this noise. Poking around under the car... everything SEEMS tight and bolted... but obviously something is loose and making a stupidly annoying noise.

Loose Motor Mount? What is it!?!?!?!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Update to my issue: shop tech "was unaware that there were fasteners holding the bottom of the mount to the plate that attaches to the engine"

!!!!??!?!????

Srsly!?

This is a well known tuner shop that specializes in Subarus.

I was shocked.

Unfortunately it wasn't the only thing out of this ordeal left unbolted.

Long story and even though they eventually took care of it my faith is gone and I won't be going back.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Which shop?

Update to my issue: shop tech "was unaware that there were fasteners holding the bottom of the mount to the plate that attaches to the engine"

!!!!??!?!????

Srsly!?

This is a well known tuner shop that specializes in Subarus.

I was shocked.

Unfortunately it wasn't the only thing out of this ordeal left unbolted.

Long story and even though they eventually took care of it my faith is gone and I won't be going back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
did you ever figure out the problem ? Having this issue now

it’s progressively getting worse too

I'm in need of your help yet again. I have been trying to diagnose to find anything under the car that's maybe rubbing or making contact to anything. This squeak started happening after my track day back in February. It hasn't been noticeable but it's gotten worse since I upgraded the engine pitch stop and transmission mount, as of late.

This squeak issue only occurs during:

• light load when moving from a stop
  • when making left turns
  • when going over bumps (but not 100% of the time)
  • when accelerating from low speed on higher gear
  • when starting the car

As I get up in speed, this squeaking noise goes away.

Below are the steps I have done. But keep in mind, this squeak started occurring before the rear sway bar and coilovers were installed.

What I have done to check, so far:

• I thought it was a suspension issue, but I wasn't so sure anymore since the installation of my coilovers.
  • I checked the tie rods to see if there's any play. I found them tight and secured.
  • Re-tightened the exhaust.
  • And finally, mounted a camera to see if I can find anything. I mounted an external mic on the area where I felt it was coming from. But as you can hear, it isn't exactly the location the squeak is coming from. It sounded like it's somewhere else.

Before I go to the dealership, please help with any suggestion, or probe by asking questions that may spark the "bulb" in finding what it could be. I dislike going to the dealer especially when my suspension is modified. I really don't have any clue.

It is so damn ANNOYING!! :mad:

It takes away from the enjoyment of driving my STI. :(

Here's a clip of where the noise occurs during driving (you may need headphones to clearly hear it).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts