IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the LTD really that much fatter? As in, how much extra weight is the luxo-rally car packing?
Someone fill in the blanks for weight and/or add extra weight components:

1) Extra sound deadening (carpet, insulation):_____lbs

2) Enkei wheels (vs. BBS): _____

3) Leather interior: _____

4) Moonroof (incl. elec components): ______

5) Suspension (if any difference): _______

6) Torsen rear diff (if any difference): ______

7) Fog light assembly w/ elec: _______

8) Rear wing/roof vane delete: ______

9) Aux input/added components to sound system: ______

Any others that I missed? I'd be curious to see how much heavier the LTD actually is.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
dont' know about other stuff but moonroof probably gives off good amount of weight. btw, are the enkies forged? they look lighter than the regular bbs

·
Immoderate
5,702 Posts
My WAGs in red.

WhyteSTI said:
Is the LTD really that much fatter? As in, how much extra weight is the luxo-rally car packing?
Someone fill in the blanks for weight and/or add extra weight components:

1) Extra sound deadening (carpet, insulation):__30___lbs

2) Enkei wheels (vs. BBS): __0___

3) Leather interior: __0___

4) Moonroof (incl. elec components): ___50___

5) Suspension (if any difference): ___0____

6) Torsen rear diff (if any difference): ___0___

7) Fog light assembly w/ elec: ___5____

8) Rear wing/roof vane delete: ___-20___

9) Aux input/added components to sound system: ___0___

Any others that I missed? I'd be curious to see how much heavier the LTD actually is.
You included a few things that appear in both the 2007 STI and the 2007 STI Limited, so I gave them zeros.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ Interesting. So really, the net weight difference (according ot your numbers) is about 65lbs more on the Ltd.

I assumed that the Enkei wheels were heavier than the BBS, but maybe not then...?

So, to me 65 lbs is negligible. Weight difference between driver to driver is going to eliminate that 65lbs margin anyway.

So why is everyone saying that the '07 LTD is going to be heavier and slower?

·
IWSTI Club Level 11ty
5,687 Posts
either way a head to head drag at the track would'nt really be apples to apples with the new '07 gearing.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
I just realized...huh.......when we all get new trannies, we're going to be going after the ltd tranny. Or do all the 07's have this new ratio change?

·
Registered
451 Posts
WhyteSTI said:
^^ Interesting. So really, the net weight difference (according ot your numbers) is about 65lbs more on the Ltd.

I assumed that the Enkei wheels were heavier than the BBS, but maybe not then...?

So, to me 65 lbs is negligible. Weight difference between driver to driver is going to eliminate that 65lbs margin anyway.

So why is everyone saying that the '07 LTD is going to be heavier and slower?
becasue they have less horsepower.

wait for it

wait for it

okay just kidding.. they only posted less horsepower because of SAE changes. (and you guys were ready to flame)

·
Registered
13,137 Posts
flatthump said:
I just realized...huh.......when we all get new trannies, we're going to be going after the ltd tranny. Or do all the 07's have this new ratio change?

So, since this is the first I've heard of new gearing, how is it going to help a fatter car? Is it shorter, thus really, really needing to get into third to hit 60, or taller, making 60 come in second, but slower?

·
IWSTI Club Level 11ty
5,687 Posts
BluSTi said:
So, since this is the first I've heard of new gearing, how is it going to help a fatter car? Is it shorter, thus really, really needing to get into third to hit 60, or taller, making 60 come in second, but slower?
no. from what i saw (i'll have to search) you still need 3rd for 60mph, but for 1/4 mile you no longer need to shift into 5th. Fourth gear tops out at ~113mph.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
BluSTi said:
Thats what I originally thought. But all this talk about bad ratios in our USDM trannies changed my mind. I think it might help to have a longer second. We'll find out soon enough though.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
i think the 07 to 06 is gunna be just like the 05 to 04 comparison, where 05 is better than the 04. Solid mounts, and longer gears = much better. O well im still getting an 06 =(

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
czechsmix said:
2006 STI 6-speed
1st - 3.636
2nd - 2.375
3rd - 1.761
4th - 1.346
5th - 0.971
6th - 0.756

2007 STI 6-speed
1st - 3.636
2nd - 2.235
3rd - 1.521
4th - 1.137
5th - 0.971
6th - 0.756
He apparently got this from subaru tech info - wouldn't the difference in 2nd gear (along with 3,4, and 5) suggest
1) Hitting 60 in 2nd
2) Higher trap speeds?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
JustinH said:
i think the 07 to 06 is gunna be just like the 05 to 04 comparison, where 05 is better than the 04. Solid mounts, and longer gears = much better. O well im still getting an 06 =(
Actually it might be the other way around. Follow the link<!-- v3 Arcade --> krazyk posted.

So you get better engine mounts (not sure about this one..I was at Subaru dealership today and looked under the 06 STI manufactured in March - it had steel engine mount, not the plastic one. I'm about to check mine out) and "better gearing". Maybe better for drag racing but I think I would still prefer the aggressive gearing in the corners where STIs like to play.

·
Registered
13,137 Posts
JustinH said:

Where, exactly, did you come up with this determination? By only talking to '05 owners? I would much rather have an '04 than a '05.

·
Registered
389 Posts
BluSTi said:
Where, exactly, did you come up with this determination? By only talking to '05 owners? I would much rather have an '04 than a '05.
Why is that? The 05 looks the same as the 04, except it has numerous improvements-helical front LSD, wider wheels, larger hubs, auto climate control, etc....

·
Registered
13,137 Posts
solbergfan said:
Why is that? The 05 looks the same as the 04, except it has numerous improvements-helical front LSD, wider wheels, larger hubs, auto climate control, etc....

The '05 has a goofy (imho) fender flare to cover the marginally wider wheels, I have an Auto climate control in my '04, and your ride is substantially heavier than mine with the exact same engine.

I also personally like the front diff of the '04, trailing throttle oversteer is really predictable and it's great in the dirt/snow.

I will concede the larger hubs though.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's a great discussion on 04s and 05s lol ;).
But, back on topic about the weight difference, gearing ratios of the Ltd...

So, people keep saying that it's slower (because they don't know that 293 SAE HP = 300 HP (old testing)), and fatter (because of all the weight additions).
Sounds like those two claims have no merit, unless I'm missing something.

The big thing is the suspension difference (steel vs. aluminum), the engine mounts, and the new gearing ratios.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts