IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
STI Titanium Shift Knob... is it heavier than the stock shift knob? Different feel?

I'm thinking about buying an STI Titanium Shift Knob but I would like to know if it's heavier or lighter than the regular stock STI shift knob?

Does shifting gears have a different "feel" with the Titanium Shift Knob as opposed to the regular stock STI shift knob?

I bought a Prodrive shift knob and it sucked, it was a lot lighter than the stock STI shift knob and it made changing gears feel like crap, I then put my stock STI shift knob back on and the tranny felt a thousand times better, so i'm wondering if the STI Titanium Shift Knob will have any sort of different feel.

Thanks!

·
Registered
900 Posts
it's much much heavier then stock. It gives the shifter a more solid feel with shifting due to the extra weight. In terms of size it's actually smaller by like 10-15% or so. When installed it actually makes the shifter ball slightly lower then the stock knob as well. All around it's awesome. Only drawbacks for me were how hot it got and I just think the stock knob looks better. If they made a stock knob the same size and weighted like the ti knob, it would be PERFECT.

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
The 04-05 stock knobs weigh nothing, supposedly the '06 is heavier. The Ti is much heavier then the 04-05, not sure how it compares to the '06.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
I honestly don't think the titanium knob is THAT much heavier. I'd say it's more like it's about the same weight as the stock, but its smaller.

If you thought your prodrive got hot...the STi ti shift knob gets hot as fuggin hell. I sold mine cuz I was sick of how hot it would get sitting out in the sun all day in the summer.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's totally worth it. Get it. It is a little smaller, a little heavier, and gets a lot hotter but overall it just feels way better. The heat issue isn't that bad. You just have to man-up and tough it out the first 5 or 6 shifts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the titanium knob...but it's too low for me, too hot in the sun, too heavy...and, and this was a serious one for me (and kind of a werid thing to complain about perhaps) it was TOO HARD. I am fairly thin and don't have meaty hands, and I didn't like grabing onto the knob so low, hot, and hard (hmmm...is this sounding a little strang...??). Anyway, I like holding my shifter like a sword handle and so I want it to be taller...

Anyway, I didn't like it.

SK

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I want the heaviest shift knob available, any suggestions? From what i've been told, the Titanium isn't that much heavier than the stock shift knob and I already have the Prodrive which is way too light, i'm looking for something a LOT heavier.

·
Registered
833 Posts
the titanium one is heavier than the stock one and the kartboy one since i have all three i havent been able to find one significantly heavier w/o going to extremely big:tup:

·
Registered
314 Posts
ya i have one i bought it about 5 months after i got my car and i wish i would of got it sooner i love mine! it is alot better than stock i think and it also comes with the 6 speed decal for the center console.

·
Registered
800 Posts
nandanrp said:
I wonder how that fancy ARC Ti knob compares to the STi one in terms of weight.
significantly heavier. i would say compared to my stock 04 knob, its easily 4 times heavier. never weighed it but it would be a bad comparison either.

edit:
check out razo made by carmate japan.

this one here is 472grams or 16.2 oz or 1.2 pounds

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
STIBLITZ said:
why wouldnt it fit? most of these shift knobs from razo are universal
I thought some of them will be too long for our reverse?

·
Banned
1,708 Posts
I make the heaviest shift knob for the STi. And I have a couple versions to choose from.

Sphere = 1.02 pounds Stainless Steel Sphere Knob
Piston = 1.20 pounds Stainless Steel Piston Knob

These outweigh the competition, come in brushed finish or a burnt finish with customizable color pattern, and I can do other shapes as well. They are all made to fit the STi perfectly, since I drive one myself I know that what I make is going to work very well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts