IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting close buying my sound system, and noticed a small black box right in the way of the right side speaker hole (looking in from the trunk). It's got some copper windings in it (visable throw the holes). Anyone know what that is? It's pretty much smack dab in the way of mounting a speaker there.

Thanks,
Terry

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thats the antenna amplifier. BTW, those are not 'speaker holes', they are just cutouts in the body panel, although with some finagleing you could probably mount speakers there.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Update guys: there is some question about the box being the antenna amplifier. It may be the timing cycle for the defogger in the rear window. Supposedly the antenna amp is in the section next to the back window covered over by the interior upholstory. But this is coming from the Subie techs, and what do they know. But I also put speakers on the back deck (I was first!) and the sound is great. SFRinNJ

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SFRinNJ, what size speakers did you put in the back? I assume you just remounted the mystery box nearby?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
SFRinNJ said:
Supposedly the antenna amp is in the section next to the back window covered over by the interior upholstory.
from the manual (ET-2): "The antenna amplifier is installed at the bottom of the rear left pillar on sedan models or at the rear left side of the roof on wagon models."

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I put 5.25 in the rear deck. I was going to go with 6.5 but they were too big. You will still have to do a little cutting even with 5.25. Just move the black box over a little.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't mean to bag on Subaru, but what were they thinking? Firstly, the stereo shop I went to last weekend could get 6x9's in the rear doors, or even 6.5 inchers. And 6x9s wouldn't fit in the rear deck holes either, which are not speaker holes. The installer originally said that 6.5's wouldn't fit either, but with much work, he was able to get them in. But I'm still bummed...not having 6x9's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts