IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last nite, I had a chance to take my 04USDM STi up to 250km/h ... (don't ask me why and where)

With a direct acceleration, from 0-250, I heard this "WOOOOO" sound coming from somewhere soon as I hit 180km/h, it's really loud, loud enough that I can hear it clearly over the sound of my engine and my stock stereo.

If I accelerate from 130km/h, I would hear it at 200km/h and on..

I asked my friend about that sound, he said it's probably from the body kit and wing design on the OEM STi...

but I just want to make sure that is not somthing bad...

BTW, don't tell me is the engine blowing up or is the turbo winding, or I left a whistle in my intake ... etc etc...

M

·
0 Posts
Without hearing it, I'm guessing it is the wind shearing off your hoodscoop at 250km/h that you are hearing.

·
Registered
614 Posts
...just did that one last weekend!

Without converting to MPH I'd like to say that at 100MPH in 6th gear I get a very off sound from my STi. It hits at almost exactly 100 then goes away at like 103 or something. Very weird - just did the math and you're talking like 150MPH+, so I don't know. Does anyone else get an odd noise (almost like a vibration) at 100MPH?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Re: THEIVES!!!!

This noise was fairly common on my WRX. People confirmed that it was coming from the side mirrors.

Try this, Fold in your side mirrors next time and see if you get the sound again.

Brian

·
Registered
199 Posts
so let me get this straight, you were listening to the radio while driving at 250kph?

seriously though, it does sound like the mirrors.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Stu, i think i read somewhere that the sound at about 100 mph is the wing vibrating, and upwards it becomes very stable as it is exerting a lot of downforce. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Are we talking a mechanical sound or an aero sound?

At around 65-70 MPH (who drives a USDM car and says km/h?), the side mirrors begin to whistle. I think someone can be added to the mirror to take care of this...I just haven't looked at the aerodynamics of it in detail yet.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
We need a Mod for STi Modifications

The mirror I think would be subtle- what I am hearing you say that this is very loud....

I would think maybe it is the hoodscoop. I have noticed the wing shake violently up till 100+, till it settles down quite a bit, as pointed out by Nonlegit. So maybe that might be the culprit but I don't think so based on my observations.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the loudness of the sound is saying "Wooooo" at normal speaking voice! :eek:
The sound is loud enough inside the car that I can't make out if it's mechanical or aero, but it doesn't sound like anything mecahnical, because it's a very clear "woooo" sound, coming from all around the car!

There's no unusal vibration, other then the "250km/h" normal vibration!
Suprisingly, the car still handles quite well at 250km/h!

It's almost like the Woo Hoo sound from "Psycho"'s link, except there is a "woo", not "hoo"

BTW, I'm in Canada, so everything is in Km/H, if you like, I can call it CdnDM instead of USdm :p

(sorry, I keep on saying the "Woooo" sound, but that's the best way I can think of to decribe it!) :roll:

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
wooooo!!! :D

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
It's the side mirror. It has been brought up a while back on another forum. I highly doubt you would hear the wing if it made noise.

BTW, JJ your wing shakes violently? That does not sound right. Mine vibrates when I go over bumps but not a lot. It is not the wind making the wing or even the scoop move its the bumps in the road. The faster you go any little bump is made worse.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried folding my side mirrors last nite! accelerating to 250km/h, but the noise is still there!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I HOPE NOTHING GETS IN YOUR WAY AT THAT SPEED. IF YOUR 3RD POST IS YOUR LAST WE WILL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your concern ... I'm still here! :evil: hehehe

Don't worry... I'm not 16 anymore! (damn... )

1 - 18 of 18 Posts