IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm about to hit 15k on my 2019 STi and was trying to figure out what gear oil to use. I know our cars call for 75W-90 in the transmission and front/rear diffs. I'm torn between using the factory gear oils or going with something like Motul 300. What would you guys recommend and if going with Motul, should I be using the 300 for the front diff and trans and 90PA in the rear diff?

All opinions and advice welcome!:unsure::)

·
Registered
44 Posts
+1 on Motul 300 75w90. I recently changed out my OEM fluids to the Motul 300 fluids and noticed that the shifting from the car is considerably easier. It could very well be placebo, but downshifting from 3rd to 2nd is definitely easier now. Since most of my driving is commuting, my transmission (and front differential) fluids were exceptionally clear for a ~35k service, but my rear differential's fluids were dark (and smelly).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you did Motul 300 in all 3? Dont know I was reading that some people say you have to use the 90PA in the rear diff?

·
Registered
968 Posts
So you did Motul 300 in all 3? Dont know I was reading that some people say you have to use the 90PA in the rear diff?
I am unsure why you'd need to use 90PA. but I've also used Amsoil as well. here is what Amsoil says for my 2012 Sti

Manual Transmission,TY856 (6-SPD)......GL-5
All TEMPS......75W-90
Severe Gear® 75W-90 (SVGPK)
Severe Gear® 75W-110 (SVTPK)
SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (AGLPK)

Differential, Rear......GL-5
All TEMPS......75W-90
Severe Gear® 75W-90 (SVGPK)
Severe Gear® 75W-110 (SVTPK)
SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (AGLPK)

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I've got a 2019 STI with 6,500 miles. Just curious why change the transmission oil so soon? 15K seems stil a new car to me?

·
Registered
320 Posts
break in can send a lot of debris just like in an engine...I haven't heard of changing trans fluid so early either but I have heard the stock oil tends to cause the shifting to be more stiff and the other oils help smooth things out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts