IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any sort of consensus on what type of mods need to be done to make the STi handle on par with an Evo? Can daily drivability still be mantained? Also what kind of budget would it take?

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Faster steering ratio, smaller diameter steering wheel, STi pink springs, STi hardened strut top mounts, STi strut bars and sway bars front and rear.

Oh, and better bolstered seats so you don't slide around turns.

·
Registered
188 Posts
All of the above should do it.............. :)

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
ya So far all the reviews say its either equal in handling or slightly better... just do basic stuff (springs or coilovers), sway bars, strut bars, hardened strut tops, steering bushings, etc... they will all help.

Robert~

·
Registered
452 Posts
Do we really have to spend that much $ on STi to come to a par with Evos?

Since we are talking about handling / suspension mods... does anyone know how STi Pinks compare to Eibachs for STi? Similiar spring rates, if I understand correctly, but what are the differences? Awash or not? I would love to hear your opinions on what hardened strut tops and sway bars / subframe can do for the car, too.

I have the strut tower bars and steering bushings installed on my car. A nice improvement, but not enough. The feel of steering has gotten good enough with these mods already, but it is just not fast enough. Maybe what I need is a faster steering rack before anything else in the handling department.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
mistkerl said:
steering bushings and experience with the STi are all it takes imo.
definitely, the STi is a very close car, but is not as easy for inexperienced drivers. The EVO is easier to drive faster, that is why it is commonly held that it is a better handling car.

IMO, pinks are all that are needed, but wider tires never hurt either ;)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Another shot

STi pink springs, wider tires and wheels, and the most ignored item for handling- properly bolstered seats! If you can't stay in the seat, you can't control it as well.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Just for the record, the stock STi seats fit some people fine. I'm 6', 235 lbs, and I don't slide a bit. And, no, I don't have a fat ass. Just ask my wife, who wonders how I keep my pants up.

Also, I don't think it's a fact that the Evo handles "better". Slalom and skidpad tests don't seem conclusive. However, the consensus is that the Evo feels better. You might be able to give the STi a more Evo-like feel, but that doesn't mean you're actually improving the handling.

I'd start with swaybars.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Stee said:
STi pink springs, wider tires and wheels, and the most ignored item for handling- properly bolstered seats! If you can't stay in the seat, you can't control it as well.
Why STi pinks... Why not Eibachs or anybody else's springs? (Assuming similar or more rigid spring ratings)

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
doublej said:
or be a better driver then the evo driver .. thats cheaper..
this cannot be anymore true...buddy of mine in his stock '87 320something BMW will take porshes all day, everyday up in the twisties. man, he can drive.... :eek:

·
Registered
289 Posts
I just let the extra power do the handling on the way out of the corners. I remember a quote from one of the magazines a while ago. They said that nothing short of a 911 Turbo pulls out of the corners like the STi. I love this car!

·
Registered
949 Posts
a post over on nasioc from a vendor suggested that our cars already had the sti strut mounts.
is this the case?
which steering bushings are most of you using?

·
Registered
129 Posts
change tires. I had the opportunity to run a track day recently on both the stock RE070s and Hoosier R3SO3's. On the stock tires, understeer was noticeable and proved a hinderance in tight corners. On the hoosiers the car actually became rear-biased. Everything else on the car is stock, the only thing that changed was tire compound.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
rjhang said:
Stee said:
Why STi pinks... Why not Eibachs or anybody else's springs? (Assuming similar or more rigid spring ratings)
Right now Pinks are proven since their rates are matched to the vlaving in the USDM struts. Right now pinks are recognized as the benchmark for direct replacement springs I am sure that other spring manufacturers will release similar springs, but they are not widely available yet and havn't been publicized as well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts