IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For people that bought for invoice!

I just got my SBC-ID and wanted 2 know what an ideal boost setting and gain setting would be. The boost controller is the only thing that I have right now for about another month till I get my turbo back exhaust.

·
Registered
348 Posts
EVO MR?

What do you mean by "ideal"? You need to experiment and find out. I haven't fully checked mine out, but I usually have mine set at 52 and 15. I have peaked at around 15.8 with that. Move it to 55 and 15, and there seems to be a huge difference (peaking around 16.7 and spool up much much quicker). I once had it at 58 and 18 and hit 17.0 (where the limiter is set at) in 4th. Just play around with yours for a while to get used to it.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
im not 100% sure about how gain works, but the instructions themselves say dont go over 15 on most stock cars... as for my setttings... I have 52/54/56/58 and 15. Anywhere from 14.5-17 in there in 5-6th. My wastegate is ported so I believe it takes a tad more to get it up to boost (although thats not a problem with the EBC).

Robert~

·
Registered
219 Posts
smokdu said:
I just got my SBC-ID and wanted 2 know what an ideal boost setting and gain setting would be.
It will vary greatly depending on the weather temp., and mods, and what you're comfortable w/ running, boost-wise.

I use all 4 channels (set based on outside temp.) and try to hit 15psi in 4th and max at 15.6-15.9psi in 6th.

Here are my settings:
1-41/9 (0 degrees F)
2-46/11 (25 degrees F)
3-51/13 (50 degrees F)
4-Adjust for Maximum gain

I generally use the 1-3 as a baseline (when the temp is really close to one of the settings-w/in 5 degrees), or as a conservative setting (when I don't have time to play)-I choose the setting immediately below the actual outside temp.

If I do have time, I turn to channel four and adjust my settings, based on the tempurature., as I drive. So, if its 35 degrees I will adjust channel 4 to maybe 48/12ish. And then test.

It hasn't been warm since I installed it; but eventually I will have 0, 40, and 80 degree settings on chan. 1-3. So, I cover more of the temp. spectrum.

I think this is the easiest method to hit about 95% maximization on each drive, w/ only 1 minute (or less) of tuning. If the temp is w/in 5 degrees of one of your presets, select that preset, no changes needed. Otherwise, go to channel 4 and guestimate the setting. Then juice it in 4th gear a couple times, adjusting until you hit your target number (i.e. 15). Simple, fast, effective!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Stikya -
Just curious...why are your settings so low? Do you think the turbo can't handle anything higher? I am trying to peak at 16.3-16.5. Any set of under 50 feels to me like it spools slower than stock.

·
Registered
219 Posts
elucas730 said:
Stikya -
Just curious...why are your settings so low? Do you think the turbo can't handle anything higher? I am trying to peak at 16.3-16.5. Any set of under 50 feels to me like it spools slower than stock.
Technically, set doesn't affect how quickly you spool, gain does. Set means how high (psi) you spool. But... I'm sure that's what you meant and that aside...

1) I am a little conservative. A few extra whp (10-20) aren't worth the chance* of detonation and engine deterioration, to me. *Dan, Guru, has mentioned that due to our timing advance, he has experienced pre-ignition/timing knock as low as 16. I don't want to det. even once!
2) I have a cold-air intake, so I get really quick spool up, especially w/ cold weather (it's 25F). I always hit 13+psi, in 1st gear-which is definitely better than stock.

Basically, I want to make sure my engine is in tip-top shape when ECUS come out, so I can safely raise boost to higher levels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts