IW STi Forum banner

What about the INSIDE?

2278 Views 16 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  user1029
Lots of great info here on how to keep a car clean. What about the interior though?

I HATE Armor All, especially when dealers spray a steering wheel with it. Its like a greasy film that you can never remove.

Questions/subjects:

Interior plastic - how to clean and how to protect from sun damage

Leather seats - how to clean and especially how to protect

Alcantara - Any special way to clean and protect the interior bits and seat inserts? I imagine you can't use leather products on the suede-like parts?
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
I bought a dash mat to protect the dash. All I do to keep the inside clean is wipe everything down with a damp cloth and then dry it off. Doesn't really protect it but mine spends a lot of time in a garage so I'm not too worried.
I use Meguiar's Natural Shine on the plastic. I use to use their dash foam before they stopped making it. I prefer the factory clean look vs the greasy high sheen plastic cleaners/protectants.
Also, I use 1Z einszett Cockpit Premium Interior Cleaner (http://www.detailersdomain.com/1Z-einszett-Cockpit-Premium_p_70.html) to clean, with Aerospace 303 to protect.

I use 1Z einszett Leather Care (http://www.detailersdomain.com/1Z-einszett-Leather-Care-Lederpflege_p_500.html) on my 2013 Impreza Sport Limited's leather seats.
I like the Meguiar's stuff as well for many of their products. The interior stuff is really nice too, and I don't like dash mats so I got my windshield tinted with Llumar Air-80, blocks loads of UV and heat and it's clear.
Reactions: 1
303 Aerospace Protectant is all you need for the plastics, vinyls, and rubbers. I use it on everything from the dash, to the seats, to the door trims, to the doors seals, to the engine bay rubber hoses, to the tires.
Meguiars products are generally really good. I have seen some materials crack with the use of Armor all. I think it was the constant hydrating and drying of the materials. For the plastics I use a microfiber mit. Just wipe down the dash and door panels weekly. Keeps them looking new. The leather parts I use leather protect from Meguiars. The steering wheel feels slightly oily for a few hours then it is nice the next day.
Meguiars products are generally really good.
If you say so. They're no 303, Sonax, or Chemical Guys, that's for sure. Once you've used the good stuff, something like Meguiars just won't do it anymore.
They're no 303, Sonax, or Chemical Guys, that's for sure.
These don't seem like they are too available. Special order from Japan or what? I guess I haven't experienced the holy grail. I was saying for the average Joe, Meguiars is about the best you can get at Autozone or Advance.
These don't seem like they are too available. Special order from Japan or what?
No, just your normal detailing websites. DetailersDomain sponsors this site, so I figure I should throw their name out there. I prefer Detailed Image - Premium Auto Detailing and Car Care Products , myself.

I guess I haven't experienced the holy grail. I was saying for the average Joe, Meguiars is about the best you can get at Autozone or Advance.
Which is a good point to make. Everything you find in the chain stores is pretty much junk, and Meguiars is the best of that junk. Those companies pay for shelf space so they can sell their junk in mass quantities and most people accept that that's what there is. However, you won't find a single product from Autozone in the detailing booth of a professional detailer (not the guys down the street with an auto wash system who also do "details").
Meguiar's all the way!! Love the smell the interior cleaner leaves behind too. Everyone always comments on how my car smells brand new. (I mean it is now) but when I had my other cars and used it.
Aerospace 303 is good, but I think Adam's Total Interior Detailer is better.

Smells like baby powder and protects at the same time. The sheen is a tad more than natural.

Your concern should also be what kind of sheen you want as well. Some people like really shiny and some people like matte.
If you say so. They're no 303, Sonax, or Chemical Guys, that's for sure. Once you've used the good stuff, something like Meguiars just won't do it anymore.
Agreed. Once you use top shelf detailing products there's just no going back. It's like the first time I drove a VTEC-YO Prelude; it felt fast and was so good but once I drove a WRX, it was all over. (Although Meguiars does have some decent polish in the tan bottles.)
I prefer 1z products. Their Cockpit Premium is great to use on all plastics and leather as it has no detergents in it that will draw any oil out of the material. Their leather cleaner is also good and all reasonabley priced.
Which is a good point to make. Everything you find in the chain stores is pretty much junk, and Meguiars is the best of that junk. Those companies pay for shelf space so they can sell their junk in mass quantities and most people accept that that's what there is. However, you won't find a single product from Autozone in the detailing booth of a professional detailer (not the guys down the street with an auto wash system who also do "details").
The only "underground" detailing solutions I use are the Poorboy polishes mainly because it was a detailing tutorial video. I always thought the independent detailing products were just snake oil (Swissvax costing $150 for just wax, wtf) and crude marketing ploys :lol:

I could definitely be wrong and I haven't looked for objective side by side comparisons of the underground stuff vs. Meguiar's.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.