IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the subject line pretty much sums it up! Well, add side skirts to that too. First incident on a vehicle I've ever caused... so I'm going to get some estimates, but it's all cosmetic. So I'm thinking possible aftermarket front bumper and side skirts. They don't seem to be too common. Can anyone recommend a nice, tasteful, and conservative one to look at and a good vendor for such a thing. I've never looked into them, but I thought now would be the time! Also, if anyone knows of a place to order the oem pieces at a fair price (my dealer is quite a bit higher than most) I'd appreciate that as well. I guess an aftermarket bumper would kick me out of A-Stock class in the SCCA. Oh well! Then, I could justify the suspension upgrades I had planned too!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
soon to have better braking...

the Chargespeed kit (minues the wing) looks kinda cool. It has nice lines. i can't remember the site I saw it on but someone here may know.....

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
be careful with the front spoilers

If you're really anal about the appearance of the skirts and spoilers, you might want to look into a skid plate too. I'm already scraping mine up on not-too-challenging terrain. I can see that this is going to be an ongoing problem, especially with the ride height lowered.

·
Registered
399 Posts
NoPiston, I have spoke at length with my parts dealer about the STi, and I learned that everything about the car is made for a reason. There is a reason for the "nubs" on the front bumper on the side, as well as the sideskirts. They all move the air away from the car. The little nubs move the air away from the side of the car to reduce drag. If you want your car to look good, by all means change the skirts and front. If you are more interested in performance then fix what you have currently as it is what is meant to be on your car.

When bodykit designers design their kits they are only going for looks, never for airflow. Its up to you whther you are more into looks then function, but I figured i'd let you know that theres a reason they are shaped the way they are stock.

just some food for thought

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'm kicking around the idea of returning the front to stock, but with adding the JDM STI front lip (gruppe-s). Now, this lip does remove the side nubs, but adds a whole lip the car never had. Also, it's what they're putting on the cars in Japan. So, I wonder if that would be detrimental at all... it's not like the air flows different over there! Hmmm... what to do... (I can work it out where I don't have to pay to get the lip...)

·
Registered
399 Posts
nopiston let me ask my guy if he knows about the aerodynamics of the JDM style because thats the one he has so i'm sure he'll know.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
The lip provides airflow benefits.

The body may be designed with airflow in mind, but it's not a ferrari.... Some body kits will affect aerodynamics positively, and some negatively.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
blitz or perrin

right, I'm no aerospace engineer (that was my first major before I switched!), but it seems to me that you might actually get a little more positive downforce from a lip across the front as opposed to the nubs on each side. The nubs may be doing something to direct the air around the sides also. Like I said though, I'm no expert.

I don't know why they couldn't have made the lip w/ nubs also...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts