IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well pretty sure It spun a bearing from the sounds it's making.
I was logging the entire trip home, id't even see it was knocking until it was too late.
I was driving her pretty hard and looks like I am going to have to rebuild it.

Oil changes were done every 3k with T6 and Mobil 1 0w40. I never let the oil get low and I and never got on it when the car was cold. Was bolted and tuned for flex for 4kmiles. I have noticed in the last week that the car wasn't hitting 20psi anymore it was down to 17.

I'm upset but knew the consequences of modifying the car and now I will pay.

datalog150 - Google Sheets

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be the tune I'm not really sure car was running good for the most part. No real knock occurrences no DAM drop etc.

That feedback knock is when it happen. I was speeding up to pass and get over to my exit and look down and seen it at -11.00+. I said shit and let go of the accelerator and got off the exit. Going around the turn on the exit I hear click click click at 3k rpms and knew what happen. so I kept it under 3 and luckily got home 2 min later.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's only at 3k RPM? I'm not sure it's a bearing. Drain the oil and look for metal.

Yes, only at 3k rpm I didn't rev it any higher then that after I hear the banging noise. Car sounds fine under 3k and idling but once up to 3k it goes clack clack clack . I pulled the dipstick to see if any metal was on it and didn't see any. I just bought a Fumoto valve on my last oil change so I will drain it tomorrow morning and report back.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Is the engine making noise at idle and all throughout the rpm range? I agree with the above, first drain the oil and inspect for metal shavings. Its strange that this all started getting out of control around the mid 3k range while the DAM stayed at 1.0

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the engine making noise at idle and all throughout the rpm range? I agree with the above, first drain the oil and inspect for metal shavings. Its strange that this all started getting out of control around the mid 3k range while the DAM stayed at 1.0
Car starts and idles fine.

Yesterday morning on the way to work I noticed that the car was stumbling merging on the highway at 2800-3k RPMS. It did it in every gear. It would build power until 2800-3k then die off them sure again. It was very weird. Anything over 3200 it would pull hard again.

I am definitely going to drain it tomorrow morning and see whats going on. Also, the engine was making a strange screeching maybe even whining sound before I let work to go home. I recorded it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
You've got a slight rich condition, my only question would be for how long has it been there? Hard to tell unless you have a history of logs. That can lead to fuel dilution of the oil or overcooling / high water content. I saw high copper and a bit of silver in my oil from con rod and turbo bearings getting hammered by water/fuel dilution.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Those videos you posted sounds like a failing power steering pump to me, you also mentioned a stumble. When the PS pump begins to fail it can place a load on the engine to either make it stumble, or worse the pump will lock up causing the engine to stall and not run. If people are not careful enough when they do mods to that area around the pump it can let air into the system causing those issues.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You've got a slight rich condition, my only question would be for how long has it been there? Hard to tell unless you have a history of logs. That can lead to fuel dilution of the oil or overcooling / high water content. I saw high copper and a bit of silver in my oil from con rod and turbo bearings getting hammered by water/fuel dilution.
I might have a log or two only since my last custom tune but I've only been tuned on flrx for a couple thousand miles. Also, the oil was changed about 500 miles ago (2 weeks).

Those videos you posted sounds like a failing power steering pump to me, you also mentioned a stumble. When the PS pump begins to fail it can place a load on the engine to either make it stumble, or worse the pump will lock up causing the engine to stall and not run. If people are not careful enough when they do mods to that area around the pump it can let air into the system causing those issues.
This is a possibility as I've been having weird issues especially when the car was cold.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Also sounds like a lot of whine from the alternator. Is the belt super tight? Did that maybe affect the power steering pulley since they share a belt? There should be a few mm of deflection in the belt between the crank and alt pulleys.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Based on the videos you provided, this sounds like a power steering pump issue. Normally when you spin a bearing, the noise is a very loud knocking/clanking sound at idle and all throughout the rpm range. All i hear in your video is the classic power steering whine of these cars when the pumps are on their last leg. I would recommend replacing the PS pump, bottle, hose, fluid, and maybe even replace the belt while your there.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
oil wasn't the problem here

that knock hammered your bearings to pieces.
Agreed!
Monitor the knock. It's always on the bottom right on my Accessport display. You never know if you get a bad tank of gas!
The stock bearings are slight. 180,000k and mine worn through the first layer.
Now running 10W40 oil for break in (EWG WFO).
I plan to run 15W40 for up to 15lbs boost. 20W50 for 22lb track days.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts