IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sweet car... with dealer markup, it will be insane... Nice if you have the $$$ though :)
I agree it will be very expensive, but it has a lot going for it if you ignore the fact it's a Mustang for $100k. Carbon fiber wheels, 760hp, DCT, magnetic ride, supposedly insane handling and it runs 10s off the showroom floor. It's competing with the $300-400k supercars. I'm curious to see how the ride is.

·
Super Moderator
8,810 Posts
It still looks so cheap on the inside. No way could I pay that much for a car and be ok with that interior. And it still looks almost like all the other Mustangs on the road.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It still looks so cheap on the inside. No way could I pay that much for a car and be ok with that interior. And it still looks almost like all the other Mustangs on the road.
I agree. You can get a Mustang GT PP2 with a manual transmission for < $50k. It put down a very respectable time of 2:53.8 on Car and Driver's VIR Lightning Lap.. only 2 seconds behind the GT350R.
Lightning Lap Results 2006 to 2019: Every Car, Every Lap Time

Normally I'm not one to compare modified vs OEM.. but you can add the Roush supercharger to the PP2 and bump the power to 700 hp & 610 lb-ft for an extra $8k while keeping your warranty and manual transmission. :devil:

Sure, it won't have the same balance, put down as fast of lap times or be as "special" as the GT500.. but you could save over $15k (not factoring ADM), make nearly the same power, have the manual transmission that Ford doesn't offer, and still have a good all around package with hilarious amounts of power.

I'd still rather have the GT350 at $60k because I love the engine and think it's the best all around package.

But the GT500 will certainly be in the supercar territory.. with the interior of a $20-30k car. There's no arguing that the GT500 will certainly be the faster car with its factory tuning & DCT.. and it will also be more valuable as a future collector's car.

·
Registered
346 Posts
In terms of the chassis and non-power related bits..

The GT PP2 receives the following enhancements:
  • 19x10.5"(F) & 19x11"(R) aluminum wheels
  • Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires - 305/30R-19 (F&R)
  • 380mm 15" front brake rotors w/ 6 piston Brembos
  • 330mm 13" rear brake rotors w/ single piston calipers
  • MagneRide Damping System w/ track calibration
  • Large Radiator
  • K-Brace
  • Strut tower brace
  • Track tuned springs & larger sway bars
  • Track tuned chassis, stability control, EPAS & ABS tuning
  • Front splitter & rear spoiler
  • Launch control & Line Lock
  • Torsen differential w/ 3.73 ratio
  • Curb weight 3,700 lbs
The downside is that the PP2 keeps the GT's MT-82 rather than the GT350's TREMEC 6 speed transmission.

The GT500 receives the following extras:
  • Larger 420mm 16.5" 2-piece front brake rotors w/ 6 piston Brembos
  • Larger 380mm 15.0" 2-piece rear brake rotors w/ 4 piston Brembos
  • Differential cooler
  • Engine oil cooler & higher oil capacity
  • Better aero (Hood vents, rear diffuser, rear spoiler, etc.)
  • Optional CF Track Pack
The GT500's nearly $20k CF Track pack package offers:
  • 20" CF wheels
  • Michelin Pilot Cup Sport 2 tires - 305/30R-20 (F) & 315/30R-20 (R)
  • GT4 track wing & splitter wickers
  • Adjustable strut top mounts
The GT500's curb weight is estimated at 4,200 lbs.. 500 lbs more than the GT PP2. The PP2 will still be lighter even with a supercharger added to the mix.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As much as I agree that it's a hard sell with the interior essentially unchanged, if you took a Mustang to the best performance shops with $35k on top, you would not come out with a better all-around car. That's saying a lot. They put everything into the drive on this car and I think that's pretty sick. Even if it's not what I would buy, it's nice to have something on that end of the spectrum.

For me, I look at it this way: my car new was about the same price as one of these with the carbon track package. I have a much nicer interior and smoother ride, but that car would absolutely smoke mine in every performance category and (if it drives like the GT350R) incredible road feel while it does. If I could afford two $100k cars, this would be one of them for sure. Since I can't, this won't be the one.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Lund Racing received their GT500 and began tuning...

Stock baseline 691 whp @ 7,400 rpm.

Removed the air filter, "free flowing exhaust", upgraded to ID1050x injectors and tuned on E85...

803 whp @ 7,800 rpm

The two other stock GT500 dynos that I've seen have been at 686 whp & 684 whp @ ~7,400 rpm. Seems like Ford underrated the GT500 :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts