IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - en route home last night and had a Volvo wagon bump me in stop and go traffic. Wouldn't have been too huge a deal but he had these lugnut type things securing his license plate and they pierced my rear bumper. :evil: Here's the REAL problem...I love my STi. (I did wait over 7mos. for it) I've been SO careful w/it....it's garaged at work and at home, has never been left unattended in a parking lot, it's washed every weekend without fail, etc. I have had it for 4 weeks on Monday and have 2500 miles on her so far. And I don't want to leave it in the hands of some crazed auto body shop, as I'm certain it'll get driven....and the thought of some heavy-handed grease monkey (no offense intended to anyone) doing 5k clutch drops or taching it to redline thru the gears makes me want to cry. I KNOW IT'S JUST A CAR....but it's my STi! I'm wondering if there's any way a pre-painted bumper will match my factory paint or if I'm at the mercy of a shop w/my car for 2-3 days....anybody with any insight/experience on something like this? Sorta freaking out since last night......and, as always, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
759 Posts
OUCH :cry:

I would go to a first rate shop{on the Volvo's dime} and tell them that you log the miles and NO ONE is to drive it off the lot. You should be fine unless it is a crap shop.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Yeah if you go with a reputable shop I would not worry too much about it, at least your car is broken in. Also a pre-painted bumper should match fine since your paint is still so new provided of course they use the right paint. Good luck.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Crossroad Meet 8/15...

Or order a new bumper from the local Subaru dealer, and charge the Volvo's insurance. Never had to get estimates or anything like that but it may be easier and if it's from Subaru it will already be color matched to the car. Worth a shot.

Jared

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Ya just think everything through as legally as possible. Have them sign a paper with the mileage on it and saying they are not to drive it at all. If anything happens, take em to court or something. I know how you feel, especially after that thread of the guy with the viper having his car taken and wrecked :-\. Again mkiv is right, a reputable shop will probably take care of it just fine. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Robert~

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a bunch guys - I knew you'd all "get it". Everyone else I told just said "it's only a car"......but it's not - it's my STi! I really appreciate all of the advice!

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Yeah it's only a car that they don't have. :roll: I never understood their point when they say that. Is there something wrong with making sure you get a good job done or you don't have any problems down the road? As far as I am concerned, people can do whatever they want with their cars but I will go a little out of my way to take car of mine.

·
Registered
347 Posts
People that say "it's only a car" drive anything that gets them from point A to point B; they don't buy STi's. I like cars, and I would never buy any vehicle that I didn't have some attraction to. I don't want to offend anyone that drives a Taurus, but it seems to me that there is nothing exciting about that car. For the same amount of money that is spent for a new Taurus, you could buy a car that is fster, or bigger, or better looking, or with better milage, but the Taurus is still one of the best selling new cars in America. My point is that most Americans, although utterly dependent or cars, just don't have a passion for cars. Don't let them get you down!

Let whatever body shop you go to understand that you have passion for your car (don't be cheesy about it, but let them know that it's not just your ride to work). They may just think you are a freak, but at least they will realize that you will see the difference between a quality and a hack job. Best case, they are car people, too, and do a better job because they realize you will appreceiate it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Personally I would look for a body shop that does a lot of high end cars. Don't forget that right now our 'pride and joys' are limited editions. Like all of the STI parts the replacement bumpers might be hard to come by, but that might be the way to go IF they come painted. I'm not sure they do. Your best bet through everything might just be working with your dealer. In the end result you want perfection and that may only come from the factory. Unfortunately from what I have been reading it seems we have an 'X' on our cars. There have been a lot of accidents and rear end hits happening. Be careful out there. Hope your repair goes well. And don't compromise with where you want the work done. SFRinNJ

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Your neck hurts, your back hurts, u can't walk, think, have sex properly.. After it's settled, get SL55 AMG...
Jokes aside, read the police report, and read the codes they put.. Ask for codes translation, and read the report again. Make sure the cop wrote the fault was theirs (as usually in the rear ended accidents), then call their insurance and rip them apart.. And yes, u get to pick your shop, so don't skimp, go for the best, like a subaru dealer u know and trust or a shop, which is willing to MAX out the revenue, which is also to your advantage.. Just ask them to replace everything that they even might think got hit..
good luck..

·
Registered
986 Posts
well I have never seen a bumper that did not cost between $1000 and $2000. Every goofball will be like I will pay you on the side it would like $50 to touch the bumper and fill the hole and touch paint. Well I had that happen to me twice. When I went in the body shop did not even said anything to touch the bumper. they said new bumper cover and the most possibly parts that even got bent or mis alligned. Remember the bumper is supposed to bent and give so the rest of the car and you are safe. So there you have it. Jokes aside how is your back and neck. I got hit by some dork doing like 10-15 miles and my neck realy was stiff for 2-3 days. And no I did not sue them for it :)

Cheers

Nick

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
changing transmission fluid?

You guys (and this forum) really, really take the cake. Not only have I gotten LOTS of responses, but they're filled with what seems like genuine concern and solid advice. I am completely impressed and very grateful. :D Fortunately the gentleman (term being used quite liberally) who hit me was travelling very slowly, and the damage seems to be confined to the bumper, where it was pierced by his liscense plate screws/lugnuts (as they extended a good 3/4" past his plate). My neck was a little stiff the next day, but not to the point where I am going to pursue it. (thx for asking BTW Nick) My dealer is THE BEST and I trust my salesman 100% (can't say that too often, huh?) I spoke with him and he referred me to a shop they work with that is right down the road, as well as giving me the shop managers name. After speaking with the manager it seems that a prepainted bumper will match, but that the car needs to be gone over to make sure there is no other damage from the impact. I'm in the midst of vaca/bus.trip here the next few weeks so it is going to have to wait for bit, but it seems it will work itself out. Again a big thanks to this crowd...you're all good people!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Loud "Clunk" on Fast Starts

good luck.. Just remember, gentlemen's insurance is NOT on your side, but is the one that will/should cover all the damages... Your body shop should be able to bill them..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts