IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering if this is normal or not but if I'm in 2nd or 3rd gear and I let off the gas and let it coast in gear, i get this strange noise like a griding whooshing noise (that sounds bad cant think of a word to describe it) it only does it for the first little bit when I let off the gas then it usually stops the more It slow down.

Anyway I was just wondering what it was and if I should be worried about it? I only have 480miles on the car so far

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Kinda like the transmission is about to fall apart? Coming from right below the gear shift?

Yup....all normal. The gears are more along the lines of straight cut gears vs. helical. If you really want to see the differences, look it up at howstuffworks.com. In a nutshell, a helical gear doesn't completely engage one gear tooth at a time, they kind of rock together. In fact, many teeth are actually touching at one time. This reduces noise. When you cut the gears straight, the teeth engage one tooth at a time and do so along the entire length of the tooth. This can give a sound of the teeth 'banging' together, and they create more of a whirring noise at speed.

In a nutshell.....we have a tranny more along the lines of the rally car....it's heavy duty and makes some noise you wouldn't hear in a regular "grandma doesn't want a loud car" transmission.

·
Registered
311 Posts
hehe. Think of in movies when people are fighting in clock towers. All the big gears going "cling cling cling cling cling". You know, clock tower, sti same diff :roll:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sha_zapple said:
You know, clock tower, sti same diff :roll:
Hmmm... I've never seen a clock tower with a limited slip center differential. :lol: :roll:

Oh man, that has to be the dumbest joke ever.

·
Registered
391 Posts
hey guys, I get the same noise in my STI. I has 700 miles on it now. And it has done it since new. Glad to hear its normal and I am not the only one experiencing it. :D

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Stereo? What stereo?? I listen to the STi philharmonic - a singing turbo, ticking valvetrain, beeping shift alarm, and whooshing gears!!! Honstely, I don't miss not having a radio yet - :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts