IW STi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been getting a weird 'feeling' and clunk from the rear of the car. I only notice it when stopping the car and pulling away from the stop. I"m confidant that it's not coming from the struts, it's not the aftermarket swaybar or it's mounts and endlinks. If I had to guess, I'd say it would have to be the diff or subframe moving.

Has anyone had to replace any mounting point bushings in the rear of the car? Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I would bet that it probably is the struts. The dreaded strut clunk is exactly what you are describing. Try jacking up the rear to extend the struts and see if it goes away for a while. Then, if so, get out the strut lube and go to work.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dunno...

It's more than a noise, it's a 'feeling' that I don't know how to describe. Almost like the car moves or yaws to one side in the last 1-2ft of the stop. Then it does it again when I pull away. Grrrrrr. I clearly hope nothing is wrong, but I also hope that I'm not making up the 'feeling' either. Grrrrr.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
it is the struts!

open trunk
hold inside of trunk opening and lift the back of the car by hand
you WILL see the car rise a little
let go and it should stay in place
push down on the car and you will hear a "klunk"
notice the rear of the car dosent return to the correct height
this is the easiest way to check for the klunk.

the reason you need to lift first is to return the car to the correct height.
when i say push down on the rear of the car i do not mean bounce it, light push will show the problem, use gradual steady pressure.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Check out the forum that talks about this. It is huge. Its called "rear diff clunk" or something like that.

It is normal because our car has a LSD. Once it is worn the engagements of the limited slip make more noise as they come together. Go check out that forum. A guy there explains it very nicely. Sounds like he knows a lot about LSD's. Don't worry, I had it for over 15k (I am at 30k now) and the car behaves the same or better at the track.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts