IW STi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ,
does anyone know if there is a weight reduction with the 19'' 2018 wheels compared to the 2015-2017 BBS 18''? if i remember right there was a appreciable reduction on weight going from the standard Enkei 18'' to optional BBS 18'' . just wondering if the new STI has lost an edge there?

·
Registered
72 Posts
2015-2017 Enkei 18" wheels is about 11 Kg and optional BBS is about 10 Kg. I've no information about new 19" on 2018 it maybe heavier than Enkei 18" unless 2018's wheels is come from FORGED technology.

Personally, I've install brand new Japanese BBS RI-A 004 (18*8.5 5/114.3 +40) that a little more expensive than optional BBS from factory but far lighter (8.3 Kg each).

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Unfortunately, it seems like the BBS option wheels get heavier with time - in some cases it's due to a size increase, but in others it is not.

• 2004 BBS (17") were supposedly 15.7lb / 7.1kg ???
  • 2005-07 BBS (17") were 19.5lb / 8.8kg
  • 2008-14 BBS (18") were 20.5lb / 9.3kg
  • 2015-17 BBS (18") were 22.1lb / 10kg

As mentioned, I can't find any specific info on the 2018 BBS. They are forged and lightweight according to the press releases, but 24 lb could be lightweight for a 19" wheel. I would guess they are at least 22 lb and probably nearer 24 give or take. Given the same overall diameter, you do of course have to account for a decrease in tire material and presumably less tire weight, so the overall tire/wheel combo weight is probably not terribly far off from the other BBS packages.

In real-world terms, the improved structural rigidity and other handling improvements likely offset any increase in unsprung weight, and obviously if your goal is to truly shave weight then you can look to aftermarket wheels, plus the STI might be less appealing anyway in that sense because of power features, heavier stereo options, addition of (in some opinions) unneeded systems like blindspot alerting etc.

I read an article a while back in which the author discussed the "glory days" of the much smaller and lighter 3-series as well as how bloated cars have become in general. The modern day corolla is larger and spiffier than a midsize of yesterday, along with most every category (except that we, at least temporarily, had an increase in interest in smaller SUVs / crossovers). At the end of the article, the author conceded that cars no doubt are heavier and larger than they were before which diminishes some of the fun, but on the other hand technological improvements to brakes, suspension, etc more or less offset those changes to the extent that things weren't truly better in the "good old days." I can see both arguments with the STI, I haven't driven a GD or a VA model so I really don't have an opinion, but I do see there being both pros and cons to the supposed "progress" of newer models.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My concern is mainly with acceleration. With no power increase, if you have a wheel for which its weight is farther from the hub because it is bigger (never mind being heavier), i imagine it will be harder to accelerate, plus need to consider also the possible reduced acceleration due to taller gearing by mean of bigger overall tire diameter.
I m no engineer but i think it needs
1- way lighter wheels to offset the fact that the wheels are harder to spin. And
2-the taller overall tire must be offset by shorter gears just to maintain same acceleration output.
But i m afraid none of the two has been taken care of.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Weighed the 2018 STI wheels and tires at 52.4lbs each. Tirerack and Yokohama claim the stock 245/35-19's are 24lbs each.

28.4lb wheel each for the stock 19inch 2018 STI wheels( rims only ) no tire.

To me that is super heavy. SSR makes a whee that is 23.1lbs in the same 19x8.5 but with a 35 or 38mm offset. As does OZ Racing who makes the Hyper GT in 19x8.5 +45 offset and weighs in at 21.4 lbs.

I have not found a nice 19x9 inch wheel with a 38mm offset etc but should weigh less than stock regardless.

OR you can just do a 18inch wheel! :)

Myles

·
Registered
350 Posts
My concern is mainly with acceleration. With no power increase, if you have a wheel for which its weight is farther from the hub because it is bigger (never mind being heavier), i imagine it will be harder to accelerate

if its weight is further from the crank ;)

but yes you're right. the longer the distance, the worse off you are, just you want to measure the distance from the crank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts