IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finding that the AC in my 2004 Sti is a little weak (relative to a Lexus or BMW which pump out continously very cold air - especially the Lexus). The AC seems to alternate between moderately cold air and mildly cool air. Anyone else notice this or is my AC malfunctioning? The car only has 5600 miles on it. The outside temps in high 80's or lw 90's.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
There is a similar thread on here somewhere about this, but I agree with you. I have an 06 and my 01 Blazer and even my 98 Neon had cooler stronger AC. I have tried some of the tricks posted on here such as opening the windows to let out all the hot air and getting the AC to circulate by opening the back windows for a bit.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Everything on the STi is designed to be as space and wieght efficient as possible. Ever wonder why a lexus wieghs 4000lbs and your similarly sized STi only wieghs 3300 or so? Its because they dont put huge AC condensors, sound deadenning or other fru fru items. This means though that you also have to deal with rattles, road noise, harsh ride and a moderately effective AC system. For most this is just fine. Heck my 04 did not even originally come with a stereo in the name of wieght savings.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Recirculation gives me the best cooling when traveling under 50 mph, but over that opening the vent seems to work best.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Yeah recirc ftw. My A/C destroy the one in my old Acura RSX and my wife's Civic. It actually gets cold enough on a hot day that I start to get goose-bumps and I love the cold...

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Suby A/C's are not known for being very cold or strong.. Look how small the compressor is...

·
Registered
147 Posts
My 06 STi's A/C gets cold enough to freeze a set of nipples solid enough to etch glass. It was 103 here yesterday and not a problem.

Kurtzz

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Kurtzz said:
My 06 STi's A/C gets cold enough to freeze a set of nipples solid enough to etch glass. It was 103 here yesterday and not a problem.

Kurtzz
Good to know. :lol:

I dont think Ive used the recir yet, rolling the windows down for a min or two helps relieve some of that hot air your trying to cool. But I might give that a try. :tup:

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
555BLACKOUT said:
Good to know. :lol:

I dont think Ive used the recir yet, rolling the windows down for a min or two helps relieve some of that hot air your trying to cool. But I might give that a try. :tup:
The recirc is great because the A/C is chilling cooler air than what passes in from outside. More efficient and cools faster and longer.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
chawklit said:
Recirculation gives me the best cooling when traveling under 50 mph, but over that opening the vent seems to work best.
Recirc will always be cooler when the air inside is cooler than the air outside, and vice versa. What will change as you speed up is that you will get more airflow over the condenser, which will make it noticably more efficient.

·
Registered
13,608 Posts
My 04's A/C isn't that cold either. I ran it at full power, recirculating at 105 degrees outside on the freeway, it cooled allright, but I don't think you can freeze nipples...cough...cough..ice-cream with it..hehe...

On the other hand, the car didn't lose any power almost....

·
Registered
123 Posts
if this helps...........i had to turn the a/c off once cuz im was FREEZZZZINNNGGG

·
Registered
916 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts