IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand how this works, and it is a really great idea but what about people like me who have below freezing weather 5 out of 12 months? Is this system heated to prevent freezing or something like that? Is there a chemical like an isopropyl alcohol that will have to be added to the water? Anyone want to take a stab at this?

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I heard of some people adding alcohol of some sort to get a better cooling effect on similar ic water sprayer systems, so it would make sense to do that in the winter to also help prevent freezing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd be careful what you add in there. Alcohol + heat = fun with a fire extinguisher. I'd much rather put a small amount of N2O in there. Like a 25hp cheater shot...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your definately not an idiot thinking that because it would work, the only problem I am sure the EPA would have something to say about spraying Ethelene Glycol everywhere, not to mention the underhood mess. I am thinking something like the chemical they put in washer fluid would need to be used for winter temps.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Actually I think that adding alcohol to the water would be OK. depending on how much you put in the water you wouldn't have to worry about fire. Not sure what the water/alcohol ratio would have to be to keep it from freezing. though you might have to change out the lines carring the mixture to the sprayer. The may dry and crack because of the alcohol. The only other option for you would be for you just to keep the water sprayer during your 5 months of cold.

Just my opinion of course.
Jared

·
Former Site Owner
6,258 Posts
Did you really just bump a thread that is over a decade old? That might be a record.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Re: Re: Water spray on intercooler feature?

Whoa...Why was I directed here? :confused:
Are you using taptalk?

Sometimes when I search on taptalk it just sends me to what I believe is the first thread ever posted on this site lol.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

·
Super Sakura Dominator
11,667 Posts
Re: Re: Water spray on intercooler feature?

Are you using taptalk?

Sometimes when I search on taptalk it just sends me to what I believe is the first thread ever posted on this site lol.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II
Yes sir! This isn't the first time it has happened.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts