IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm schedualed for my first service/oil change tomorrow,
I have a question about warrenty issues...

I currently have HKS Cat-back, BOV, Short ram Intake, DIY ground, installed in my car.
Do you think that I should uninstall the BOC and Intake for service tomorrow, so that when I bump into problems, they won't say.. "you have aftermarket BOV, intake installed, so we won't warrenty... "

or...
Do you think that Dealer is gonna be cool with mods and warrenty 8)
(yeah right... what are the chances of that happening!)

thanks for any input! :wink:

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
If it's a quick switch-out, than go for it. Even if they warranty the service, you might not want it going on record that you have aftermarket parts installed.....

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Wow, you've got a few mods for such a small amount of miles....either that, or I'm just way behind already..ha Well, regardless, I talked with my dealer before even purchasing the car about aftermarket mods, and they said they would work with me. So, when I finally figured out exactly what I wanted, I again spoke with the service dept. at the dealer. I wanted the basics...BOV, APS exhaust, turbo timer, etc....but before they could say anything, I very openly told them that if they wanted a potential lifetime buyer who could afford dropping $35,000-$40,000 (with TT&L) on a new car, I expected some flexibility on their part. Without hesitation, they said that so long as the work was done professionally, the mods that I mentioned were NO PROBLEM....they basically told me over and over that they would be willing to do ALMOST anything to keep me happy and to encourage me as a repeat buyer in the future....So all that to say.....make SURE you throw that in their face....the whole $35,000 + and repeat buyer thing...that works.....

·
Registered
858 Posts
Time for a new poll

well if the the warranty issue like for the seat, then those things you did SHUOLD NOT matter.

but they may jot the stuff down and keep it for future references.

so the safest bet is to remove the MOST visible things and try not to attract attention to them...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
mats

OM3GA said:
I'm schedualed for my first service/oil change tomorrow,
I have a question about warrenty issues...

I currently have HKS Cat-back, BOV, Short ram Intake, DIY ground, installed in my car.
Do you think that I should uninstall the BOC and Intake for service tomorrow, so that when I bump into problems, they won't say.. "you have aftermarket BOV, intake installed, so we won't warrenty... "

or...
Do you think that Dealer is gonna be cool with mods and warrenty 8)
(yeah right... what are the chances of that happening!)

thanks for any input! :wink:
Keep in mind that your warranty is with Subaru of America not with the local dealer. The local dealer only has bearing on the warranty in that they have the ability to report modifications to SOA.

With regard to your modifications - intake, BOV, and cat-back can all affect the way the engine works. So assuming anything does go wrong on a related part, SOA is fully within their rights to not honor the warranty.

-st

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have heard that SOA is treating the warranty on the STi as NQA (no question asked). I have heard rumors of brake pads, clutches and trannys destoyed at the track replaced under waranty without any hassle from the dealer. I have only had warranty work done once on my car (a trip piece that fell off), so I don't know if any of this is true of not. If it is, then we may be home-free on aftermarket stuff, too.

For me personally, I plan on modding the heck out of the car eventually, but probably near the end of or after the expiration of the warranty.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Crazy Train...do ALL OF US A FAVOR and find out more about this whole warranty regardless of problem or mod. That is brand new information which could be very valuable if it's found to be true. Please, wherever you heard that from, research it some more and be sure to post up about it. I don't think there's one of us out here who own an STi that wouldn't LOVE to hear that....Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok...
so, I went in for 1st service today... I took out my BOV, and intake, only takes me about half an hour for both!

I ask the service manager, if they would have any problems with any modification to the car, warrenty wise... ! he said, as long as you don't take apart the engine itself, or any internal engine mods (eg, pistons/bigger turbo) , we won't care! :eek:
I asked him if I wanted to do Intake, BOV, up/downpipe, turbotimer, inlet pipe, other hoses... etc etc...
he repeated the same answer to me!

so, that was pretty clear, and pretty good!
other then the fact that they charged me almost $100cdn for an oil change! (using quicker sludge syn)

Maybe it's only my dealer, but I 've heard my friends that goto other dealer says the same thing!

so... good luck! :wink: and of course... happy modding! 8)

·
Registered
858 Posts
well glad to find a dealer that is mod friendly.

but still, dont abuse it (like the story of one dude who blew his engine up and actually got a dealer to warranty it.

he posted on nasioc, IIRC and one of the people who read his thread submitted it to all the dealers in his area.

anyways, the dealer is right. i wonder what would happen is like the bad install of the DP would lead to a turbo failure. what would they do?

·
Registered
541 Posts
OM3GA said:
he said, as long as you don't take apart the engine itself, or any internal engine mods (eg, pistons/bigger turbo) , we won't care! :eek:
Hmmm, turbos aren't "internal" engine parts; there are bolt-on replacement turbos out there, but that's obviously one of the big mods, so I can see where the dealer's coming from on this one.

Again, EVEN IF you upgrade your turbo, the dealer can not deny warranty service unless they can prove that part was the direct cause of whatever failed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts