IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I think it depends on the temps outside. I just want to make sure the oil is circulated around good before I drive. I sometimes watch the rpms. When they drop a bit I drive it and take it easy till its up to normal operating temp. When it's warm out I don't wait long but when it is real cold out I wait a bit, never really timed it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I take off right away but very easy on the throttle and low rpm for the first few mins.

For shutdown, I run full heat, AC off, for a minute or so before parking, easy on throttle, low rpm, idle for about 15 secs before turning off.

Jim

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
i let mine "warm up". i find it doesn't like running when cold. (however, i live on a hill, so maybe it doesn't like to be pushed when cold.) now that's it's getting cold, i wait the rpms drop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got a remote start put in. It's fantastic. I start it about 5 minutes before I'm ready to go. The car still needs to be driven easy till the rest of the drivetrain and don't forget the tires too, get some heat in them.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Transporter_STi said:
How long should you spend:
Warming up the Car? / Cooling it down?
I ALWAYS let it warm up... thuroughly. If I have the time I'll let the needle rest in the middle for temp, but at the minimum I'll wait for the needle to come about | | past the C mark, and not go over 3k or so until it finishes warming up. As for cooling down, since the manual doesnt even say we need one, I let it sit for maybe 10-15 seconds and then shut er off. Im just very paranoid about warmup and I want it to last a LONG time (the car that is ;) ).

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
which amp?

Gumpajim said:
I take off right away but very easy on the throttle and low rpm for the first few mins.

For shutdown, I run full heat, AC off, for a minute or so before parking, easy on throttle, low rpm, idle for about 15 secs before turning off.

Jim
why full heat? Im curious.

Robert~

·
Registered
350 Posts
And another Silver/Silver in the Bay Area!

Since our turbos are both oil and water cooled, I really don't think it's necesary to wait to turn the car off, unless right after a hard run.

-dp

·
Registered
857 Posts
i wait about 30 secs to start. temp aint that low in northern kalifornia. i live by the freeway entrance so i take it easy, like i'm breaking it in.

then i take about a minute to shutdown. usually there's a song i wanna finish....

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
staticx313 said:
Gumpajim said:

Jim
why full heat? Im curious.

Robert~

Running the heater draws the heat from the engine. That's why your heater doesn't work until the car is warmed up.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts